How many rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many rods?

I was in the good ol garage next thing you knew it hit me ..... hmmm i wonder how many rods i could rig on this thing if i wanted to. Heres what i got.

I also wondered what two fish finders would look like? if the transducers would interfer with each other?

And wanted to see what it would look like to rig a boomin system on ya yak?

10 rods !!!

GO TEAM REDFISH12
    Attached Files

System PICS

What are the odds i would electrfy my self before i caught a fish
    Attached Files

Comment

Lmao@ the sound system!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

First off, I enjoyed your photos. Here are two examples of extreme customizing.

I ran a 23' Parker from 2002 - 2008. In 2008, I sold the Parker and decided that I wanted to downsize to something that would fit in my garage. I did not really do enough comparison shopping and ended up with a 15' Gheenoe, which is a canoe-like skiff but with broader beam. It ended up not being what I wanted, so I sold it and bought my current 16' Scout, which is just right for my current needs.

Back to the point of the story -- during the year that I owned the Gheenoe, I joined the Custom Gheenoe website. I was really amazed at the large number of Gheenoe owners who went way out on a limb in pimpin' their rides. They spent thousands of dollars customizing a small boat that was not very roomy or did not ride well. I guess that is an American urge to express ourselves in our vehicles.

To give another example of extreme rod holder-itis, there is a guy named Francis who used to post frequently on the Tidalfish website. He bought a very old Boston Whaler about 20' long and added homemade vertical rod holders for more than 30 rods. The boat looked like a porcupine if he loaded all the rod holders up.

There clearly is a point of diminishing returns when each incremental rod begins to get in the way of paddling or casting. I generally carry three rods with me, each with a different lure so I can better judge what the fish want that day. Even then, I occasional snag one of the spare rods while casting. The resulting tangles take precious minutes out of a fishing trip.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I tend to do the same. Although, I carry 5 rods. Two are casting rods for trolling, rigged with crankbaits. The other three are generally spinning and an additional casting rod, for casting. They are rigged differently, as to what type of fishing I expect on that trip. Any more rods and they would probably be in my way.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            First off, I enjoyed your photos. Here are two examples of extreme customizing.

I ran a 23' Parker from 2002 - 2008. In 2008, I sold the Parker and decided that I wanted to downsize to something that would fit in my garage. I did not really do enough comparison shopping and ended up with a 15' Gheenoe, which is a canoe-like skiff but with broader beam. It ended up not being what I wanted, so I sold it and bought my current 16' Scout, which is just right for my current needs.

Back to the point of the story -- during the year that I owned the Gheenoe, I joined the Custom Gheenoe website. I was really amazed at the large number of Gheenoe owners who went way out on a limb in pimpin' their rides. They spent thousands of dollars customizing a small boat that was not very roomy or did not ride well. I guess that is an American urge to express ourselves in our vehicles.

To give another example of extreme rod holder-itis, there is a guy named Francis who used to post frequently on the Tidalfish website. He bought a very old Boston Whaler about 20' long and added homemade vertical rod holders for more than 30 rods. The boat looked like a porcupine if he loaded all the rod holders up.

There clearly is a point of diminishing returns when each incremental rod begins to get in the way of paddling or casting. I generally carry three rods with me, each with a different lure so I can better judge what the fish want that day. Even then, I occasional snag one of the spare rods while casting. The resulting tangles take precious minutes out of a fishing trip.
            +1
            Same here- I seldom carry more than three rods- I have one light spinner (10 # test mono) and the two main outfits- my Abu Revo SX and Shimano 200e on 7'9" Blair Wiggins Blue Flats rods.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Team Redfish12!!!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Looks like someones bored this weekend ... lol
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

My outback is currently rigged to be able to hold 11 rods, but I take 5 at the most usually. most of my rod holders are specific for a type of fishing or use.

Comment

Impressive. Now you're ready to run a 200 ft planer spread, or troll the great lakes.

Comment

With all those rods, you need your hands free to fish. Maybe you now need a Hobie
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

One turtle and that is a lot of lost fishing tackle- I have a lot more rod holders than rods I carry- I have two rod holders on my crate and four on my Outback- that is a lot of fishing outfits to carry- after fishing a while out of a kayak, I have pared down on a lot of things I carry- especially the number of fishing outfits- but to each his own- you want more- do it- that is the lure of plastic kayak ownership- it is economical enough to customize your yak without the worries of screwing it up- Hobies, included.
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I definently agree with you that would be alot of lost fishing tackle. Ive never had that many on at the same time just really wanted to see how crazy it would look to have em all on at once. Unless hmm (planer boards might work though) lol enough of that brain fart. Well back to tyin some flies if anyone on here is an avid fly fisherman i have a few flies i may need you to test out for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X