• suction cup mounted rodholders

Are there any available? I dont feel like drilling holes into my kayak lol
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

never heard of suction cup rod holders, i also would not trust it. where you trying to put the rod holders? you can always get a crate and attatch rod holders to it.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Drill what!

I would stay away from suction cup rod holders. That is, unless you have alot of money for new rods.

We are all leary of drilling holes in our kayaks. Just do alot of thinking about what you are doing, before you drill. Go out and use the kayak before you mount anything. This way you will know what area that you do not want to place things such as rod holders and FF. Make sure the area beneath, where you are going to drill, is clear and flat. One other thing, when you do drill, only drill holes large enough so that screws or bolts will thread through the plactic. That way you will have a good seal. Back up screws, bolts and nuts with large washers and/or backing plates. For other things such as wires, there are through hull fittings and silcone for those type holes. You will want to mount things in a secure fashion. As said, practice on your milk crate.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
        Drill what!

I would stay away from suction cup rod holders. That is, unless you have alot of money for new rods.

We are all leary of drilling holes in our kayaks. Just do alot of thinking about what you are doing, before you drill. Go out and use the kayak before you mount anything. This way you will know what area that you do not want to place things such as rod holders and FF. Make sure the area beneath, where you are going to drill, is clear and flat. One other thing, when you do drill, only drill holes large enough so that screws or bolts will thread through the plactic. That way you will have a good seal. Back up screws, bolts and nuts with large washers and/or backing plates. For other things such as wires, there are through hull fittings and silcone for those type holes. You will want to mount things in a secure fashion. As said, practice on your milk crate.
        I second Dogfish's advice. Position rod holders and bases (I use Scotty brand, but others are fine too) in various positions while you are already sitting in the boat (remember the old adage -- measure five times, cut [or drill] once). You don't want the holder or the rod butt that extends through the bottom of the holder to interfere with your paddling or pedaling (as the case may be). You also want to be able to reach the rod holder and adjust the vertical or lateral angle to accommodate different fishing styles. For example, if I am trolling, I turn my rod holders out to the side, but when paddling from place to place, I turn them to be parallel with the hull.

When you do decide where you want the rod holders, use stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts rather than screws, if at all possible. This means that you will need to have some access to the underside of the top hull in order to fasten and tighten the nuts.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Ditto on the advice.

Hey, I think you just joined the forum today, right? Welcome aboard, perchy!
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

i have see the suction cup rod holders but they need a smooth flat surface like gelcoat on boats i dont think i would trust my rod to one on the yak not smooth enough or flat enough. drilling for the first time is nerve racking but just check twice before comitting to the hole and use 100% silicone to make a wt seal
            Last edited by surfdog; 10-13-2011, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Yep, I'm a n00b to kayak fishing so be gentle
              Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
              Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
              Northern Pike: 24 inches
              Crappie: 12 inches
              Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Working...
              X