Fishing tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing tools

I recently replaced my Boga grip with the Fish Grip by Norton Plastics- The stainless steel grips on the Boga seem to cut into the fish's mouth and damage the fish I intend to release- looking at my storage capacity on my kayak, I want to minimize the tools I carry- I have always used stainless steel forceps as a hook remover. I clip it in the mesh portion of my PFD, but recently I changed out the old forceps I have used for years for a combination braid clipper forceps tool. Two weeks ago I had a frisky 22 inch striper in the yak with a Rapala XRap lure and it flopped off the boga grip and onto my leg digging the treble into my upper leg- The forceps came in handy removing the hook from my leg- the hook went in past the barb so it hurt like hell. But what would I have done without a sturdy tool to pry it out of my leg? I didn't want to cut the treble hook because I still would have to get the barb out of my leg so a side cutter tool wasn't helpful. I always have a golf towel and a tiny first aid kit in the crate so that came in handy to staunch the bleeding.

What tools do you carry?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I carry a fish grip also. work great and floats... also is a lot cheaper than a boga. To get hooks out of humans make a loop out of heavy mono and put it in the bend of the hook that is embedded. press the eye of the hook down to your skin and with a single quick movement pull the mono to pull the hook out. tough to dictate but easy to demonstrate. I too carry a basic first aid kit and a small water filter. I usually dont carry a whole lot of extras.

I just got a bps stainless 8" needlenose pliers setup. A good knife or two rounds out the tools for me.

Comment

I have the boga for big fish because it will lock on the fish and spin if the fish twists hard ......... the plastic grips for smaller ones .......

but I usually use the net because it's easier on the fish and helps keep hooks from flying around. If the fish does shake the hook, it usually ends up in the net and not me .......

Comment

I carry a sharp knife on my pdf, a leatherman, scissors, fish grip, and some basic first aid. I'm still on the hunt for some pliers that don't suck, but for now I carry the leatherman and keep it stowed. I don't like taking my boga out on the kayak because it sinks like a rock and rusts. I think the fish gripper works great, even for big fish. I had it on an over 30" blue (maybe 33"?) at J-bay this year and I had no problems.

I also have a large floating dehooker, but I only bring that when I'm planning on fishing bait. I wanted something long enough to unhook a cownose ray.
        Last edited by Redfish12; 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=Japanesezero;19758]I carry a fish grip also. work great and floats... also is a lot cheaper than a boga. To get hooks out of humans make a loop out of heavy mono and put it in the bend of the hook that is embedded. press the eye of the hook down to your skin and with a single quick movement pull the mono to pull the hook out."

I did pretty much the same thing with the hemostat (not forceps) It was hard with the fish still attached to the lure and my leg but I Held the fish tight asgainst my leg locked the hemostat at the bend of the hook and with a fast and hard jeck popped the hook, lure and fish out-after all that I decided to releash the fish and not eat it.
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-12-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            I carry a sharp knife on my pdf, a leatherman, scissors, fish grip, and some basic first aid. I'm still on the hunt for some pliers that don't suck, but for now I carry the leatherman and keep it stowed. I don't like taking my boga out on the kayak because it sinks like a rock and rusts. I think the fish gripper works great, even for big fish. I had it on an over 30" blue (maybe 33"?) at J-bay this year and I had no problems.

I also have a large floating dehooker, but I only bring that when I'm planning on fishing bait. I wanted something long enough to unhook a cownose ray.
            I just bought a few weeks ago the berkley floating pliers from BPS, I think they work great and they don't seem like they will rust up.

Comment

I have Gerber Fishing multitool similar to this one:

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-F...-30-000070.php

The only difference is the one I have has a ring on it for a leash that I keep clipped to a D-ring in one of my PFD pockets, and all the tools on mine fold inward, which isn't optimal.

It's got some surface rust, but it works flawlessly besides that. I wash it and lube it up once every 2 months, or so. The pliers are pointy enough to dehook bluegill, the cutters will cut through a stout hook, and the leash keeps it at hand. The scissors won't cut braid anymore, but I have some clippers that will.

I also keep a pair of parallel jaw pliers with a side cutter for cutting big hooks. They require minimal hand strength even when cutting big hooks.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

hurts just to hear about your leg !!!

tossing hooked fish in the kayak has definitely put this subject on my mind. i have knife, long-nose pliers, and the plastic fish pliers/gripper at hand. after hearing your story, might consider stocking a swig of whisky and a bullet to bite on too.

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                  hurts just to hear about your leg !!!

tossing hooked fish in the kayak has definitely put this subject on my mind. i have knife, long-nose pliers, and the plastic fish pliers/gripper at hand. after hearing your story, might consider stocking a swig of whisky and a bullet to bite on too.
                  The lure was a nearly new Rapala XR-10 (4 inch) Blue/Silver XRap- (I lost my last one at Point Lookout fishing with Tufnick.) The hooks are really sharp and fairly small- but it hurt like hell and bled like crazy- so lots of blood made me feel like the chance of infection was pretty remote. After all that I caught a few more Stripers on the same lure and that made me forget about the incident and put a smile on my face.

But when I got home I ordered a Fish Grip from Hook 1 to replaced the boga grip- and I picked up a bigger (still small) first aid kit for the yak that I put small tube of triple anti-bacterial ointment in.

Comment

Ouch!

I carry:
                    - first aid kit
                    - aluminum pliers with titanium coated jaws (Tsunami)
                    - plastic fish grips
                    - 8" bolt cutters (with three pivot points) for those hard hooks
                    - 4" scissors

The folding knife I carry is sharp and too pointed. Was cutting some line one day on the yak and the point accidentally cut my finger (Didn't have a first aid kit at the time too). Going to replace it with a less pointed knife, maybe with one of those SS kayak river knives.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Ouch +1, there is a video of a guy sticking a hook in his arm to demonstrate the mono removal procedure on you tube, but it works.

i carry the lip gripper, needle nose pliers (just oiled and sanded, just like new), bait knife and a folding gerber knife on my PFD also have forceps in my vest but find they slip off the circle hooks when embedded in cartilage. i have a small first aid kit that is in the pouch on my seat, only used once when i cut my finger open while opening a pack of fishbites. those packs suck.

Comment

I picked up these boone pliers a couple weeks ago at BPS.

http://www.basspro.com/Boone%C2%AE-P...t/97115/131852

They come in 3 different lengths and have a different style handle that gives you excellent leverage.

I wanted something other than regular needle nose that would go down in the fishes mouth farther. They have 3 different lengths. I got the 8 inch version i believe.

I also like to cut 1 hook off of treble hooks for easier de-hooking and the extra leverage of these cut the hook very well.

They are chrome plated stainless steel and hopefully they wont rust up.

Gonna have to pick up another pair for the yak now.

This is the 8 inch version that's also crimping pliers.

This is the 11.5 inch fish removal pliers.
                        Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 10-13-2011, 01:14 AM.
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                        X