Back River, HRBT Sat, 8 Oct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back River, HRBT Sat, 8 Oct

Was on the water about 1 pm at Dandy Point Marina. Nice Saturday afternoon at BR. Light breeze. Sunny. Lots of boats and a few yaks. Not a lot, but fish were being caught. Picked up some frozen peeler crabs at Outfitters Shop, and caught a 12" speck on a tandem rig with the quarter-cut crab. I later used a blue/white rat-L-trap and caught a 15 1/2" speck a hundred yards west of the nearest duck blind. Took the keeper home for dinner. First time I had baked trout, and it was excellent!

Met Redfish and Comeonfish at HRBT Willoughby launch Saturday night. We hit the water about 9:30 pm. They caught striper, flounder and other fish. I used peeler crab on a tandem rig, but got only bait stealers. I also jigged using bucktail, white swimming mullet, and Gulp minnow along the pilings up to Fort Wool as well as between the spans. Total skunk, but I'll be back. Good night of yak fishing. Met other local yakers.

Talked to Mark, the local kayak fishing radio guy, when he came in. He stayed on the water about an hour longer than us to fish a moving tide. He finally caught 19" and 22" stripers. Also, he said he could set up an overnight place to snooze if we out-of-towner yakers gave him notice. He also encouraged us to listen in on his Wednesday night yak fishing talk shows.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-11-2011, 07:16 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice work on the trout, tuf. Specks were one of my favorite fish to eat when I lived in VA. All these speck reports are driving me to distraction.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
    X