Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRBT/Kipto/FI Trifecta 10/7 -10/9

Friday - HRBT
    Fished HRBT with YakFisher. Awesome night! Weather was perfect, little rough out there but the fishing was great. We limited out on stripers. Caught between 15-20 each, ranging from 22" -30". I caught some nice croaker, between 15-16", a keeper 18" flounder and tons of blues. Oh,and I caught a seagull also. That was pretty interesting. Ended up cutting the line and it flew off with with a BKD, a 6/0 hook and about 10 feet of braided line trailing behind. lol Left the water around 6am, I was pretty beat. Headed over to oceans east tackle where Redfish and Comeonfish were just arriving.

Saturday - Kipto
    Saturday we ended up fishing Kiptopeake. Rockfisher and Keith were already out on the water when we got there. Pretty productive day also. YakFisher and I caught 24" flounders each back to back. Couple 18-19 inchers were also caught. Bite died once the tide changed. Tried fishing for taug inside the ships but all we caught were toads, toads and more toads!

Sunday - Fisherman's Island
    Fished FI Sunday morning in search for specs and redfish. No luck there but Yakfisher ended up catching a 20inch flounder. Pretty cool area to fish. The dolphins were everywhere, coming a couple feet from your kayak. I got some cool footage on the gopro. I'll post it up once I upload the video.

some pics
    Attached Files
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

NICE!! when's the next trip? I will be making regardless of other factors...

Are sheepshead and spades still around CBBT?

Comment

It was nice talking and fishing with you on Sat. Thanks for the flounder belly. That was the ticket. I went back out to ships on Sun and caught a 22" and 18" flounder.

I wanted to try fishermans island but just ran out of time. Next time.
      Keith Romanowski
      Red Hobie Outback

Comment

Sounds like an excellent trip! Were you fishing the North end of the HRBT or south end? Hopefully, I will be making the trip down this weekend...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice Flounder!!! Man the ships are the best!!! I can't wait to get down there again! I see you guys actually got to go inside of them... the water was ripping a little to hard for me to feel comfortable in there... did you catch anything while inside the ships?

Comment

That's a killer couple of days. Nice work on the flatties.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
              NICE!! when's the next trip? I will be making regardless of other factors...

Are sheepshead and spades still around CBBT?
              probably in a couple weeks for some reds! talking to kayakevin, he says that they still are catching sheepsheads at cbbt first island.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                Nice Flounder!!! Man the ships are the best!!! I can't wait to get down there again! I see you guys actually got to go inside of them... the water was ripping a little to hard for me to feel comfortable in there... did you catch anything while inside the ships?
                just seabass and pesty toads
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Heading down to the beach this weekend. Planning on hitting Kipto on Saturday to try for togs. Any tips on how to find them instead of fishing every inch of the ships?

Comment

There are only a few ships you can get into. Id start there.
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Sounds like you guys had a great trip. I think we missed the good night on the HRBT and probably should have gone to kipto instead!

As for fishing the ships, look for sticky bottom with your sinker. If you thud on rock when you hit that's good, but what you really want is to thud, lift up, then thud down lower into a hole or crack in the bottom. That's where the tog were for us. Also, look for obvious signs of debris on the bottom where parts of the ship has fallen in. We saw some boats anchored up on spots that they probably marked on the depth finder, so look for those too on the edges. Bring a lot of lead, you're gonna loose it. I like to use 40lb braid and 30lb leader. I tie a swivel on the braid and then just clip the rigs in. I use a perfection loop for the sinker or a single surgeon's loop, then a dropper loop for the hook, and a tripple surgeon's for the attachment loop. I tie about 20 of these before each trip. Last trip I ran out of the ones that I had already put hooks on so I used some of the snelled blackfish hooks. Look for the ones that have a metalic finish, they are much sharper than the dull black mustads. The leader was too long for my liking so I cut it in half and then just looped them into my dropper loop. I caught both tog on that set up, so I am going to try that more now instead of just a hook in the dropper loop. Anyway, good luck! Tog fishing is very intense/frustrating/addictive bait fishing!
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully they will show up this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                          Heading down to the beach this weekend. Planning on hitting Kipto on Saturday to try for togs. Any tips on how to find them instead of fishing every inch of the ships?
                          If you want to get on some Togs you should head to the first island at CBBT. Redfish had some luck this past weekend and I hooked into a keeper flounder as well.
                          2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

I would love to try out the CBBT one of these days but I don't think I can convince my friend to make the 45 minute peddle out there.

Comment

Hokie,
                              When do you plan to be on the water at Kipto on Sat? If I can get off work, I hope to be there Friday noon, and maybe do some night fishing.
                              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                              X