Fish finder/GPS combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish finder/GPS combo

For those looking for a decent combo at an affordable price - I bought an Eagle Cuda 350SMap after seeing one on one of our member's kayaks. I installed it on my Hobie Outback using a duct seal wet well transducer system. Turned it on and went fishing. I set it up with a split screen where the display has a GPS map on half the screen and the other half displays the sonar. The sonar gives bottom depth and gives fish depths as well as water temps. The GPS gives speed and location info. You have zoom and full screen options for both GPS and Sonar...good unit that works as advertised. I paid $186 delivered to my door. Cabela's has it on sale for $169.99 plus $5.00 shipping.
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-10-2011, 06:46 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ive been thinking of ordering this unit as well since it seems to be the best bang for the buck for a combo unit in that price range.

Im concerned about how much detail you get on the gps chart. Does it show any depth and bottom contour detail?

Any chance of seeing some chart detail pics?
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

It has a fairly small screen- 3.5 inch but the unit has so many options, zoom in, split screen, full screen, etc. that you can get as much information as you want- the fish finder screen has fish id features, including the ability to mark individual fish with their depth readout on the screen. The default auto settings are pretty good without you having to tweak the power settings to get the bottom returns- I was impressed that it does everything they claim right out of the box without any tinkering- I installed it, made a wet well for the transducer with duct seal then set the transducer and sealed it after adding a little water to the well, put the battery in a dry bag and tied it to the sail tube, launched the yak and turned the unit on- after a minute or so the GPS started to give positions, the fish finder returns depth temps, etc. I switched screens and decided to just use the split screen feature with a map- I zoomed the map to get the detail I wanted and then went fishing. I could see fish and the bottom contour features and that was what I wanted- all in all I am very satisfied with it. Fished three trips since I installed it- I turn it on and forget about it- it works.

Comment

Yeah I've had this fish finder since March or so, maybe you saw it on my kayak. Unfortunately mine stopped working over the summer since I left it in the trunk for a few weeks and I think some moisture got into the circuitry or something. Make a habit of removing it and keeping it in dry conditions when you're not using it. Also, keep the wiring free from moisture. If I can still find one next season I'll get it, but I think it's a discontinued model now. The dual GPS/fish finder was really helpful. You just save a way point at your launch area and it'll remember it next time you want to come fish that same area. You can store hundreds of waypoints. It was especially helpful for me since I'm new to Maryland waters and it helped me keep from getting lost, as well as being able to travel further distances without worry of remembering where I launched from.
        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Navico has a one year warrantee- their 1-800-324-1354 for service, Fret. I would call get a return number, box it up and send it back with a note about what it isn't doing-

Dick's carries this model, in store, as does Cabela's. So, they still stock and sell it.

Comment

This unit has served me well for the past two years. The only problem i have with it is the power/transducer connector. The saltwater and rubber material does not mix well and its starting to corrode and fall apart. I probably could have avoided this with better care (wasting the connector with fresh water and using anti corrosive cleaners) but its to late for that now. I figure i have another year on this cable before it dies.

Make sure you rinse this connector and use dielectric gel on it regularly and it should have no issues.

Comment

Yeah ........ I love the Lowrance products but I hate their connections ...... sure wish they would come up with something like the Hummingbird mount .....

Comment

Working...
              X