Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX Trip

Day one:

Finally was able to escape for a fishing trip, and to what better place then the Outer Banks. Arrived Friday afternoon in time to check in, get all the tackle ready and hit the beach right behind the motel. We fished the outgoing through the incoming till about 2:30am and caught a couple of undersized speckled trout and a bunch of small black drum. Today, we drove down to Oregon Inlet to check out the new inlet that has formed. The power of a storm to completely change an area like that is amazing. The new inlet is fairly deep and I can only imagine it growing larger. I don't know if we will ever be able to drive all the way down to the original Oregon Inlet. On the plus side, it opened the area formally known as the "pond" and enlarged it, it looks very fishy. I am going to launch the kayak into it tomorrow on the sound side of things during incoming.

We set up about a 1/4 mile north of the new inlet on the beach in an area with lots of rough and dirty water. It looked very drummy! Fished fishbites bloodworm and crab flavor, shrimp, cut mullet and then fresh cut spot and other fish. The days catch was very mixed! We caught several small flounder, speckled trout, sea mullet, spot, lots of pompano, lots of small black drum, a couple of blues, and I got the first puppy drum of the trip!
    We went home with a cooler of fish, and I caught the fish I target when I come here, so I am a happy camper. Good start to the trip, the new neoprene waders are working nice and the waterproof iphone case is working well. I will post a review on that soon. Here until Wednesday!

nice tj, any pix of the new inlet? heading to AI on the 21st for drum if your intrested

Comment

Hey TJ! Good to see you here. Glad you got out. Nice mixed bag. Congrats on the pup. How'd the kayak fishing go?

Comment

Howdy! Good to be back fishing, hopefully I can squeeze out a bunch of trips before winter since things have slowed down and I have the time now.

Pictures and Video of new inlet and the island spit:
        http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/a...OBX%2010-9-11/

Yakkin went great! I launched from the ramps next to the coast guard station at the OI Fishing Center. I followed along the shore as I went out, not going out to the channel and the water was 6 inches deep in places quite far from shore. Ended up paddling more then pedaling until I found deeper water. I did more exploring then fishing, but managed to hook a 14.5 inch or so flounder, sadly they gotta be 15 there! So close. Also some weird lizardfish thing and a small blue, just trolling a deep diving crank lazily along the bridge. I landed on the newly split off Oregon Inlet Island Spit. It was really weird to walk on a beach that I had previously driven out on to fish. No signs of human foot prints, just birds. It was my own private island! It seems as though its going to keep shrinking though, as I could see wash over from high tide knocking down the dune grasses. I hit the new inlet at slack tide going into an incoming since I was worried about currents. Its depth was about 3-6 feet in the deepest portions during low tide. I ventured a bit far out of the inlet, its very rough as depicted in the google earth image. I accidently got into some curlers, luckily the revo rocketed over them and slapped down on the other side before I beat a hasty retreat.

I wish I had kayaked more, I waited until my last day, which ended up being Thursday since I stayed an extra night after Chuck and his Step dad left. Hard to leave your buddies on the beach with all the beer while they are there. We had dwindling returns from the surf and hit many good holes and troughs. The first day/night that I posted the report on turned out to be the most fruitfull! Friday it was 83 and sunny, so I dragged my feet leaving. Checked out the brand new Jenette's Pier. That place is a perfect example of how a pier SHOULD be built! It is amazingly nice. I am going to kayak the next trip a bunch more since I have scouted out the area. I also caught more fish only half trying in the yak for an hour or two then I did the previous two days on shore oddly.

Comment

Working...
        X