vhf marine radio question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vhf marine radio question

OK I know this is probably basic but what exactly is the vhf radio? I have been reviewing gear and I saw that people take these vhf radios with them for safety reasons. Are they like a scanner? a walkie talkie? What can you expect from one. The only reason I ask is I bought a pair of Uniden 2 way radios..They seem to have alot of channels and the weather alerts ect...but I think they are just walkie talkies. I think I bought the wrong thing for solo kayaking. They will work when my brother and I just go out and his wife can keep track of him....What should I have purchased?????

The fastest link to the Coast Guard or other help on the water during an emergency is a marine VHF radio. Cell phones have limited range and are far less reliable.

Marine VHF radios are the preferred method of communication with the Coast Guard. The lifesaving agency has made a significant investment in a radio communications program called Rescue 21. The goal of Rescue 21 is to provide continuous communications coverage throughout the country between the Coast Guard and mariners. The system has direction finding capability and is designed to insure interoperability between multiple federal, state and local agencies.

Below is the link on an article on all the communications (walkie talkies, VHF, cellphones)for Kayakers:
    http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Ar...ineRadios.html

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks

I will look into this.
      Thanks for you're reply
      david

Comment

good info on the fly, thanks. when you go out, do not forget to charge the batteries! every time i have been out, ive had a dead radio because of forgetting to charge it. Doh!
        sigpic

Comment

Only the weather

I can only seem to get the weather, are they like a cb scanner? or just for outgoing calls. I have a set so I know one can call the other. The other being my brothers wife. I'm in the dark. I may have bought the wrong thing. They are waterproof thought. O well I'm new it will take me a long time to learn...I'm only 2 hrs from the bay bridge up 95 to 50....that's nothing to fish
          Today I got skunked on the shad/hering migration. I was all ready with my sabiki to tear it up like last easter

Happy easter everybody......

Comment

Originally posted by Dallison View Post
            I can only seem to get the weather, are they like a cb scanner? or just for outgoing calls. I have a set so I know one can call the other. The other being my brothers wife. I'm in the dark. I may have bought the wrong thing. They are waterproof thought. O well I'm new it will take me a long time to learn...I'm only 2 hrs from the bay bridge up 95 to 50....that's nothing to fish
            Today I got skunked on the shad/hering migration. I was all ready with my sabiki to tear it up like last easter

Happy easter everybody......
            Hey Dallison - where are you located? I'm in Arlington, and I have been fishing for shad the past two weeks too. Caught a lot of gizzards, only a few hickories so far.

I'm trying to plan a trip for this Saturday, anyone know how the flats are fishing?
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

With regard to the weather stations, the weather stations are receive only and you cannot transmit to that frequency. The other frequencys are receive and transmit.

Comment

Hands down ...bought the wrong thing...

Yeah, I bought the wrong thing. It's not a VHF it's a glorified walkie talkie that gets weather....That's fine I can use it backpacking and camping with friends in the mountain. This is only my second purchase mistake....the first was the xshot kayak tripod mount....thought it came with the tripod. JUST THE MOUNT...40 bucks. Hey I'm doing my job stimulating this bad economy....at least I'm learning and will prevent others from my stupid mistakes.

Comment

i have a submersible vhf...comes in handy on the yak, especially when its choppy.
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

^which one do you have again? my icon m-88 sucks. has great reviews but ive had nothing but trouble with it. was never clear
                    sigpic

Comment

i bought a standard horizon. i got a good deal on it. i paid $50-60 for it from boatesrworld when they went out of business.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...3&isArchived=1
                      Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

you got one hell of a deal! the cheapest i can find for that radio is more than double that...
                        sigpic

Comment

have you looked at ebay?
                          Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

i couldnt find that model on ebay. there was tons of them on ebay when i first bought it

cheapest one i found
                            http://yhst-37334516642247.stores.ya...ohxhavhfw.html
                            Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                              ^which one do you have again? my icon m-88 sucks.
                              jet, don't give up on your icon. Keep in mind VHF is line of sight when transmitting or receiving. The big boys in their big toys have their antennas 12' or more above the waterline and might be able to reach out up to 25 miles. We're transmitting from between the waves, and other than the Coasties on chanel 16 we have to be thankful for what we can get.

Dallison, what you bought sounds like FRS or maybe GMRS radios. Those are great for you and a buddy or a group to keep in contact when you might be too far to shout. Remember, the GMRS radios require an FCC license
                              ($80.00), a lot for a few extra channels and extra range

NOAA weather can be VHF but more likely on the handhelds is an AM broadcast which bounces up and down. That's why it comes in so much clearer down between the waves.

Comment

Working...
                              X