Kipawa Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kipawa Prop

I tried out my new prop for the first time today. I gained .5 mph. I thought that I might gain more than that. However, what I noticed most was that I did not need to use as much throttle to get the same speeds. I trolled for 4 hours on one battery and still had plenty of juice left. The propulsion was also more consistent. When I hit boat wake or wind chop the kayak kept up a consistent speed instead of slowing and taking time regain speed. Overall the speed was more consistent and steady. It was worth the $41 for the new prop.

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
    I tried out my new prop for the first time today. I gained .5 mph. I thought that I might gain more than that. However, what I noticed most was that I did not need to use as much throttle to get the same speeds. I trolled for 4 hours on one battery and still had plenty of juice left. The propulsion was also more consistent. When I hit boat wake or wind chop the kayak kept up a consistent speed instead of slowing and taking time regain speed. Overall the speed was more consistent and steady. It was worth the $41 for the new prop.
    http://www.kipawapropellers.com/index.html

Rick, thanks for the heads up on these propellers.

Comment

I checked out the site... just $30 for my model of motor... I think I will go out a few more times before I decide to update or not...

Comment

Same prop for my motor too, mtym.

Never heard of these props. Thanks for posting.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Are the diameters the same? How about pitch?

Two blades in general are more efficient than 3-blade, but if the 3-blade dia is smaller, efficient might be the same. If efficiency is the same, then the advantage you get with 3-blade is the better recovery going through a chop. Just trying to figure out why we would want to switch to 3-blade. And I'm a bit cautious about manufacturer's claims.
          Last edited by tufnik; 10-06-2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I know there is alot of technical talk. All I know is that the kayak is smoother going through chop and waves. Installation was a snap. Not much different than changing a regular prop. If you are going for additional speed, than maybe not. I do alot of trolling and my battery is now lasting alot longer. I went out again today and trolled 6 hours on one battery, 105 AH, with power to spare. Much better than what I was getting, about 4 hours, then swithching over to the second battery. No miracals, just a little farther. Hell, I can waste $41 on new lures and never use most of them. This worked out. If your 2 blade works, go with it. Remember, I am pushing quite a load, myself, two deep cycles and a wide kayak, plus all my other gear.

The overall diameter of the three blade prop is smaller. That is one of the first things that I noticed when I got the prop.
            Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-06-2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I did a bit more reading about it. As you said, it pushes through the chops better than the stock prop. It's also smoother running with less vibration. I did get mixed reviews on power usage though. Some say less current draw, others say more current draw. I guess it depends on an individual's situation. Looks like you get better duration. There does not appear to be any appreciable speed increase, if any at all. Again, depends on the situation. So, it may be worth a try.

Comment

Definitely less vibration.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                  http://www.kipawapropellers.com/index.html

Rick, thanks for the heads up on these propellers.
                  Glad I could help ......

Comment

Working...
                  X