Propstick for crabbing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propstick for crabbing...

Inspired by Moc, I finally got around to constructing my propstick to try my hand at trotlining. A little bit late in the season, but not TOO late, as the best crabs are caught around this time of year. Construction was really simple using PVC...which is kinda like K'NEX for grown men lol.

I used my flush-mount rod holders as the base for my propstick. Luckily when I installed them, I angled them straight back, opposed to pointing them off to the sides like most are done. This allows me to have the perfect base for my contraption. Here are some pics...

These are my bases that go into the rod holders. 1" PVC fits the rod holder holes. I have an adapter to mate with the rest of the system, which is 1.5"...

This is what inserts behind my seat...

Like this...

I wasn't sure how far out my propstick should extend, so I kinda gauged it based on the length of my net handle. I didn't want it too far out, creating unnecessary stress on the bases...

End Result...

I have my trotline ready to be baited. I am starting out with just 300' (75 baits). I will extend it to 600' upon gaining more experience/comfort with doing this. I just need to get a couple more things and I'm set. Float, anchor, etc.

Hopefully I can catch a few dozen crabs with this setup!
    <insert witty comment here>

Looking good. If you catch too much, I really don't mind if you want to pass those delicious things on to me.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

nice metro...let us know how you do

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

It is not too late to crab. The biggest ones are coming out now. A friend and myself went out last week and caught 2 bushels! Yum. I steamed some, I picked some for crab meat, and I made a ginger/garlic coated fried crab.....all were good!
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice going. My first test run will be on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
            Nice going. My first test run will be on Monday.
            Were are you going to crab on Monday?

Comment

Just out at Jonas. You coming?

Comment

Thinking about it since I have Monday off, and I can hunt for some perch there.

Comment

Alright, well Jay & I will be there early in the morning. Plenty of perch there waiting for you!

Comment

I haven't seen Jay in awhile..... consider me there. I will try to film your crabbing debut, then I will attack the perch. Let me know what time we should meet at Jonas on Monday.

I think I may go to the Kent Narrows on Sunday morning. Just to wet your appetite, I went out with a friend this morning to crab again, and the trotline caught two packed bushels....198 crabs....no 1's and 2's.

Comment

Whats up Moc. I havent seen you since the spring time. I dont have vessels like you all so I am gonna paddle and use about 10 traps and see how I do. In between Im gonna fish for perch as well. Lets aprreciate this nice weather before its too late.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                        I haven't seen Jay in awhile..... consider me there. I will try to film your crabbing debut, then I will attack the perch. Let me know what time we should meet at Jonas on Monday.

I think I may go to the Kent Narrows on Sunday morning. Just to wet your appetite, I went out with a friend this morning to crab again, and the trotline caught two packed bushels....198 crabs....no 1's and 2's.
                        You are killin em! We'll see what I can do come monday. Just got my floats & 2 sections of chain today. Also got my bait. I'll be baiting the line tomorrow night.

We'll plan on 6:30am at Jonas.

Comment

I'll see you guys then. Maybe I can give you a tip or two on the kayak crabbing.... My friends call me the "crab whisperer".

Comment

You guys are too much! Crab Whisperer...gotta admit, though- nothing is sweeter than backfin crab meat... Moc/Metro- for some reason, I just can't get up for white perch- I know they taste good on a plate, and on ultra light tackle are fun to catch...and I have a really nice UL outfit with 4 pound test Spyderwire mono that I use to catch perch- but it isn't anything that causes me to daydream about doing...Unlike catching specked trout, stripers or redfish...
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Moc, cool. See ya then! I've been formulating mymgame plan and I think I'm ready. Any tips would be greatly appreciated by both myself and my wife lol!

Ron, no prob. After seeing ur reports, I wanna come down to aqua land to fish with you soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X