water near Bay Bridge did not look good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water near Bay Bridge did not look good

I took my Scout skiff out this afternoon for its first trip since the flooding. I launched at Sandy Point about 1:00. Several of the ramps near the bathroom were closed because of debris, but most were open. After riding out the inlet, the water north of the bridge was calm but still very brown.

I rode across to the middle of the bridge, then turned south. As soon as I passed under the bridge, I encountered 1.5 to 2 ft waves coming from the south. I slowed down then turned toward the mouth of the Severn. At one point I spotted some birds flying around in a circle and thought I had found the fish. By the time I got there most had left, with only 5 birds sitting calmly on the water. This was near the green can at Hacketts.

I did not want to keep running south in that much chop, so I headed into Whitehall Bay, then up into Mill Creek. The water was calm in there but still very brown. I cast soft plastics along some decent looking shoreline, then trolled the same lures for a mile or two. I did not have any lures touched today.

I came back out and headed back to Sandy Point with following seas. I was surprised that the bay had not cleaned up much from two weeks earlier. I still observed plenty of debris, from small branches, to larger branches, to big chunks of firewood and lumber. At one point as I was speeding up after leaving Mill Creek, I hit a piece of lumber at about 15 mph. No damage was done, but it definitely kept me on my toes for the rest of the ride.

I guess the fishing for now is further south or up in some of the rivers or side bays.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

it will probably be brown for the next several weeks
    sigpic

Comment

Harrisburg and the rest of the Susquehanna river basin got a lot of rain this week. All of that nasty water comes down into the bay...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

We just drove up rt 15 to tioga. The bay water looks like it's going to have some more mud heading it's way. I haven't seen the susq. this high and you can see it was even higher. Water runs completely through most of the islands and woodlots up to the road. Some of the parking lots are underwater too. Brown muddy water heading down. Also when we got to the tioga area, streams that are usually a foot or two are wide and deep enough to run boats down. Tioga lake is high and mud colored. It hasn't stopped pouring rain and it's not predicted to stop until wed. On a positive note, we did see a ton of deer last evening that we lost count. Haven't seen that many deer here in 7 years now

Comment

Working...
        X