Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new guy

Hello,
    My name is Michael Smith and I live near Bel Air. I have been fishing my entire life but just got into kayak fishing a couple of years ago. I predominately fish the Susq. Flats and the Ocean City bays in the kayak. I have fished the bay bridge area for years but from a boat. I am looking forward to possibly taking the kayak out there sometime this year.

welcome. i mostly fish the bay bridge from the yak. this year i want to try some new places. fishing oc from a kayak sounds like a blast. what species do you usually target in oc?
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

OC is a blast. I mostly fish the east channel and thorofare for flounder. I've never gone into the surf but I really want to launch off Assateague for stripers sometime.

Comment

Mike, a few of us were talking about coming up to fish the Susky flats this April/May, have you ever fished that time before? If so, would you want to meet up with us and fish together?
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I'd love to meet up with you. I just started fishing the flats last spring. I'm not exactly an expert on the area but I had a lot of success last year. I am heading there today possibly but definitely tomorrow. Keep in mind when planning your trip that it's C&R until 5/3 and closed from 5/4 to 5/15.

Comment

C&R is fine with me, I'd just be happy to boat a fish over 30 or 40 inches! Or heck, after the winter we've had, I'd be happy with just some schoolies!

Would you be available next weekend? Have the fish started showing up yet?

Comment

Welcome. i hope to launch the backside of OC or AI and try for flounder this year. maye we can meet up and you show me the ropes
              sigpic

Comment

AI / OC = Assateague and Ocean City? I have a buddy with a house in Fenwick island and we are planning on doing some fishing in that area as well. I was also thinking of playing around in the surf some there. We always see huge schools of bunker going down the beach, but so far nothing but small blues and sharks have been caught. Oh and a lot of kingfish.

@MDSmith - Have you been on the flats yet this season? I still want to get up there, but I don't have wheels for the weekend. Anyone heading that way from the Arlington area?

Comment

Yes, Ocean City and Assateague. I usually launch from 5th St. or Golf Course Rd. for flounder but this year I might launch from the backside of AI across from the airport. I have an annual trip with buddies in May and we fish from a boat. Last year the boat traffic was so bad in the east channel that we decided to try the bay behind AI and we killed them. Six keepers of 19+ and about 75 throwbacks in two afternoons. I'm still tempted to launch into the surf from AI for stripers but I have a Scrambler XT and I've never done it so I'm a little hesitant.

Redfish, I've been to the flats twice. This past Sunday and two weeks ago. The weather changes have really confused the fish and the fisherman. It seems the fish aren't staying in one place very long. It's like they don't know whether to stage, spawn, or leave. You really have to be in the right place at the right time. I didn't see a single fish caught by anyone either day.

I'm going on a boat on Monday to the Bay Bridge area. If we do well I may be moving my kayak south with the fish for a few weeks.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X