Hrbt 9/24 - 9/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hrbt 9/24 - 9/25

I'll keep it short, but wanted to kick start the new forum. Fished the HRBT after the TKAA tournament for the first time. Very cool place! Saw Rob Choi, Luther (YakAttack), some of the guys from the MKF crew and few other diehards that weren't done fishing for the day. Got on the water just before 10pm and got off some time around 5 or 5:30 am. Caught some big croaker, some small flounder, an angry mean eel, a small rock, all the blues I could ever want, and a few keeper sized flounder. I forgot my net and I was too tired to tie on a leader... figures! I lost all but 1 of them and it was the last one. I grabbed the line and just hoisted it in. I think after fishing the first island in the rain and then fishing all night my hands were pretty much butter and the braid sliced me in both fingers. It was worth it though!

I stopped to get ice and my gps sent me to fort monroe to turn around, so I got to drive past Grilled Sardine and Capt Luke still fishing and some other guy in an orange kayak. Then when I was passing the ramp I saw tuffnik pulling in, couldn't believe it was that late/early!

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

I forgot to ask MOC, but were you guys jigging for the croaker?
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

^ i think most of us were jigging for croaker. Moc might of had a hi/low with some cut bait on there. i was using gulp curly tails
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Was the gulp effective?
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I was jigging white gulp mullets or pogies on a 1oz jighead for the flounder, but I caught a few on a bucktail with gulp and a 1.5 oz jighead with a stinger hook. Gulp on the first hook, then meat strip with the stinger close to the end. Oddly enough, most of my croaker came on cut bluefish or cut croaker.

Comment

sure was. gulp is amazing, catches pretty much everything, striper, flounder, croaker etc

like redfish said, put a strip of cut bait on the hook if fishing for flounder, thats the key.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Good stuff. I'm gonna try flounder fishing for the first time this weekend...
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
                ^ i think most of us were jigging for croaker. Moc might of had a hi/low with some cut bait on there. i was using gulp curly tails
                I was using a 1 ounce PINCH jighead with a white Gulp swimming mullet. I also had a small shad dart kind of hook about a foot above the jighead as a teaser. The blues loved that.

Comment

Great report. I see you got the standard braid tattoos on your fingers. I have permanent scars on both my pointer and index fingers on both hands. Those suckers hurt too when you get salty water, bait goo and gulp liquid on them.

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                    Great report. I see you got the standard braid tattoos on your fingers. I have permanent scars on both my pointer and index fingers on both hands. Those suckers hurt too when you get salty water, bait goo and gulp liquid on them.
                    No kidding, that gulp juice is the worst! I usually have built up scars there but all this rain has kept me off the water and all the rain on the water made my hands butter.

Here's another shot before filleting...

Comment

Working...
                    X