Fly Fishing a yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing a yak

How many people honestly do this or have tried ?

there are many people that fly fish from a yak but i've never tried.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I've done it for Snook and Specs down in FL before, but not up here yet. I'm planning on doing it around some rockpiles this summer. I'll also probably hit some flats in Charleston for redfish this summer and just walk the kayak behind instead of casting before. I had a clear deck when I did it in FL and just one small bag with tipet/leader/flies in it. We'll see how it goes with other rods on though.

I think it was an OK scrambler I used, but I can't remember, might have been the smaller prowler.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I fly fish the vast majority of time in my yak. Both fresh and salt water.

Comment

I saw a guy fly fishing from a yak in Spa Creek off the Severn. I Never even fly fished! I will give it a go sometime in the future
          sigpic

Comment

i tied on my 1st fly sunday, tied it to 20lbs fluro leader 2' long and added a weight 3/4 the way up. no bites but nothing else was working either.

Comment

What kind and size of fly? Also what kind of fly line, seems kinda strange to put that kind of weight on the flyline or was it tied to a regular rod/reel?

Comment

regular 7' rod, with a pen LL 5000 reel, doing some flyspinning fairly large fly alewife pattern about 4" maybe 5

Comment

Working...
                X