Fountainhead Regional Park, VA, 9/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fountainhead Regional Park, VA, 9/24

I visited my folks in NOVA this past weekend and fished with my father again on Saturday. We were supposed to do a snakehead hunt at Leesylvania on Friday evening, but it was raining pretty hard, so we hoped for better weather on Saturday.

Since we didn't know what the weekend boat activity would be like at Leesylvania, we tried to launch at Bull Run Marina. Unfortunately, the crew teams were practicing, and they're impossible to be around. We ended up launching at Fountainhead at around 10am.

To our dismay, we found crew teams practicing there, too, but there is more room to keep out of the way. The downside is having to listen to the coaches bellowing over bullhorns. We used to fish that area from a rented jon boat since I was a kid, but I hadn't fished Fountainhead in about 7 or 8 years. We decided to hit our old stomping grounds to see how they looked on the sonar.

The fishing was super slow. I only caught one small bluegill, but had several follows. It's pretty frustrating when you can't even catch bluegill. Dad landed one small bass and lost several others. He was using a 4" electric blue worm. I threw all kinds of stuff without a hit: crankbaits, worms, jerk shads, frogs, spinnerbaits, and inline spinners.

There were tons of fish on the sonar, and I tried jigging a Stingsilver in a couple places without even a sniff. The coolest thing was that I saw a school of bait on the sonar, and there were several big fish in the bait school. Unfortunately, that spot was right in the path of the crew boats. I saw a lot of catfish marks (I think), too, and will have to go back with some bait to see how big they were.

We called it quits at 1pm. The crew teams quit at noon. If we had known that, we would've shown up later and fished until evening. Still, it was pretty cool fishing all our old spots, and the water was surprisingly clear despite all the rain.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Fountainhead is tough! I don't know why but I think it's just because it gets so much pressure with much fewer fish than there were in the past. For future reference you have to deal with zero boat traffic at Leesylvania when you launch from the small boat launch. It's a shorter paddle to the better areas and even when you get to that area the boat traffic has never been enough to hurt my catch ratio. Let me know next time you're in the area! I'd like to go out with you if you have some time.
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Jack. I wasn't expecting a tremendous amount of bass action at Fountainhead, but I was stunned that I couldn't even find any sunfish. Even in the worst places I've ever fished, there are usually plenty of stunted bluegill ready to hit a spin fly. Oh well. Anyway, I'll let you know the next time I'm in the area.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I hear there are some Northern Pike there, anyone know how to catch them?
        Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
        Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
        Northern Pike: 24 inches
        Crappie: 12 inches
        Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Working...
        X