New Outback Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Outback Owner

I posted about a week ago trying to get some info before purchasing my 1st kayak and bit the bullet and picked up a new 2011 Hobie Outback for $1499. It was a 3 hour drive to get it but I think it was worth it . We wound up making a day of it and enjoyed the.scenery as well. It was up on the north jersey shore near sandy hook.

They have a couple more if anyone's interested. I picked up the yellow one and I think they still have 1 green one (still in the factory wrap) and a red one with some scuffs that you can probably get for $1399. They also have revos for $1499 and sports for $1399. All are 2011 models.

Anyway, I'm looking for info now on the best gear to get. I figure I'll have to see how I want to rig it for fishing as I go along and see what type of fishing I plan to do and what works best for me. What is the must have gear and acessories for an outback?

I'm actually wondering more on what type shoes, pfd, and clothing to wear in this colder water we are staring to get. I've looked at dry suits and they are very expensive and.not even sure they will keep me warm. What's my best option to stay warm and dry but not be to uncomfortable and can't move around do to bulkyness.

Remember, this is all new to me, so be.specific please.

Thanks.......Really looking forward to getting out there and toss a line but I also want to make sure I'm prepared.

Any links to gear would be apreciated.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Congratulations- You did the right thing and I am glad you took the advice of getting the Outback for your first Kayak- I just finished rigging mine yesterday- I posted some pictures on the forum- this is my second kayak to rig and learned a lot from rigging my first one- I went pretty minimalistic but with robust capabilities- I bought an Eagle Cuda 350 SMap fishfinder/GPS on sale with S/H total cost $186. I bought the high back Hobie Stohlquist PFD, a Cabela's 8 amp hour gel battery, a Ram Eagle Fish Finder Mount, two Hobie Rocket launcher rod holders, YakAttach Panfish camera mount, Yakattack carbon Visipole, and one Ram Revolution Rod Holder. I rigged my Outback with a pretty basic anchor trolley (found all the high dollar stainless steel sail boat pulleys aren't necessary) with two stainless steel eyes- one near the bow and one near the stern.

Remember, I have had a kayak before buying the Outback, so I already have a lot of the things you will need to buy. Get yourself a good floating VHF radio for emergencies. I have the ICom M-34. An anchor is a must- the five pound folding anchor is what I use with 50 feet of braided 1/4 inch dacron deck line. I also have a 24 inch drift sock rigged with fifteen feet of line and a float and a clip so I can unclip it and fight the fish and then come back and pick it up- same with my anchor line- It has a red crab pot float on the end with a stainless clip. I have several leashes (in case you ever turtle your yak) for securing the rods. I made a tackle crate from a plastic milk crate that I carry spares and such- I have several dry bags to store your stuff- I always put my wallet and car keys in small plastic zip lock bags in my PFD pocket as well as my I-Phone. If you get wet what happens to your car keys (if they are electronic)?

Last spring I fished in the cold- I used foot stocking waders, a dry top with a belt and was pretty comfortable.
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-25-2011, 08:49 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Congrats on the new yak!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Bit the bullet and it tasted soooooo good !!!!!!! Good move ..... congrats

Comment

Congrats on your first Hobie. I'm not quite wealthy enough to get one yet but I have a few toys that are tried and true. I bought practically everything that I rigged my yak with including the Yak at BassPro in Arundel Mills. Grant it, I work there PT and got a discount on most of my accessories with the ecxeption of the electronics stuff. I bought the floating Cobra marine hand held radio. I think it was about $129. Also got the Hummingbird 160 B&W portable Fishfinder. That was about $160 or so. It comes with a battery and a suction cup for easy mounting of the transducer externally on the hull, However I've discovered that I didn't like to do the suction cup thing so I permanantly mounted my Trans inner hull. The only draw back is that I can't get the water temp. Also comes with a case with a mount in it and with that I simply unplug from the Trans. and take the entire unit in the house to charge the battery. In the cold weather I use my Fly Fishing chest waders with some warm clothing underneath it. Works fine. An anchor is a must and there are several out there. Mine is a folding "grappling hook" style that comes with a float and caribeaner to disconnect and come back too it if you get in a fight and don't want to take the time to pull it up. Good luck and if you need any help or have any questions just post it and you'll most likely have more than a few folks offing several ways to solve you're problem. I know I had A TON OF HELP!!! See ya on the water soon. Try to make the M&G if you can. You'll get all kinds of ideas there.
          Tom
          Tom Brown
          Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
          2012 Hobie PA 14'
          Ocean Kayak Tident 13
          2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

A Hobie? For a 1st yak? Now that's biting the bullet. Congrat!
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated.

Thought I replied back already but guess i didnt.
              Been trying to do a lot of research on outfitting the outback and I think ive about wore out the google search button.

I still havent even put the outback in the water yet for a test run.
              Even took off work today but got a late start and me and my GF took my Amberjack out today for a little cruise and fishing. My boats in Back River and took a ride over to the chester to drop a line and managed a few rock & WP.
              What a gorgeus day it turned out to be too. We did hit a little storm about an hour before sunset but managed to outrun it heading in.

It was like glass out there today on the chester and all I could think about was wishing I was on the yak so I could hit the shorelines for some topwater action.

If its not to bad saturday or sunday I might get her wet but if the weather doesnt cooperate, I'll be heading to BPS.

Still need a pfd and have been looking at the Stohlquist Fisherman High Back Life Vest in yellow to match the Papaya outback.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...Life-Vest.html

Ive seen other cheaper ones but this seems to have alot of nice features. $99 a good price for this? (Ive seen it as high as $159) Or is there some better options?
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

sounds like nice fishing and time out!

i haven't tried the pfd in link, but just picked up an ascend pfd from the bps. a feature i was looking for (and may not be necessary) is snap buckles closure.

the reason i wanted buckles, was to be able to unzip the vest for air movement, leave a buckle snapped, and not have the chest flotation float up behind me if i fall in. the one i got was about $60, has buckles and zipper front closure. and the back flotation is high and comfortable in the kayak. it has mesh back, but only has one zipper pocket. (and 2 others w/velcro that i shoved the straps' tag ends into._

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-OSFM-P...0225852/122951

ps - i saw a powerboat go by with 2 kayaks on deck yesterday!
                Last edited by Southerly; 10-01-2011, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the new yak! Curious what year and size Amberjack do you have? I looked at those (Amberjack) real hard but decided not to bite the bullet on that one...

Comment

Originally posted by alpha550 View Post
                    Congrats on the new yak! Curious what year and size Amberjack do you have? I looked at those (Amberjack) real hard but decided not to bite the bullet on that one...
                    I looked at newer boats but the prices are rediculous. I picked up a 1985 Sea Ray Amberjack 255. Its 25.5' long (28 loa) with a 10' beam and a wide open rear deck to fish off of. this actually has more room on it than the newer 290 amberjacks. I picked it up pretty cheap and have been upgrading it each year.

I had a custom hard top built for it, dropped in a new 2010 Mercruiser 496 MAG engine and replaced the teak pulpit with a fiberglass pulpit and added a new windlass. Started upgrading the dash this year with new rocker switch panels and next year she'll be getting new smartcraft guages and a mercmonitor. Will also be adding a new lowrance HDS FF/GPS and an auto pilot.

I've got way more money in this thing now than I'd ever be able to sell it for but I'm getting it the way i want it and have no plans to go bigger or newer in the future.

If interested here is a link to a thread on the Club Sea Ray forum where ive been adding info and pics of the modifications ive been doing as I go.

http://clubsearay.com/showthread.php...ight=amberjack
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                      Still need a pfd and have been looking at the Stohlquist Fisherman High Back Life Vest in yellow to match the Papaya outback.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...Life-Vest.html

Ive seen other cheaper ones but this seems to have alot of nice features. $99 a good price for this? (Ive seen it as high as $159) Or is there some better options?
                      I have the Stohlquist Fisherman pfd in yellow. I got mine from Austin Kayak. It is built very nice and should last a long time. The rigid zipper pockets are great for storing sharp items, scissors, forceps, hooks, etc. It is not too bulky. I have yet to go swimming in it but I'm sure it will keep me afloat.
                      <MIKE>
                      Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
                      Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Pretty crappy weather today so I decided to take a ride to Bass Pro to see what kind of kayak accessories they had. Wish someone would have told me cause they dont have much at all for kayaks. I did pick up a dry bag though and looked at the waders & FF's. I was hoping they had the Eagle Cuda 350 but all they had was the color one without gps and I definitely want the gps. They did have the hummimngbird 385 and that looks to be a decent unit but a little more than I want to spend right now. I cant believe I actually got out of that place and only spent $40....lol. Thats usually a $200 + bill every time I go there ... lol. And that $40 was maily on some lures I picked up for my girl friends birthday present. Hey dont laugh ..... she loves to fish too and it was her idea...lol.

What kind of waders are you guys using? I know most say they use the stocking foot waders but are you using the neoprene versions or the lighter weight breathable ones? Seems like the latter of the 2 would give you better movement correct?.... but i would think the neoprene would be warmer? Ive had neoprene boot waders before and from what i remember, they were pretty restrictive.

They had some full body wet suits for $109. Does anyone use thise in colder waters? If so what kind of footwear do you use to keep the water out and stay warm?

Since i was heading to BPS I also stopped at Backyard boats since they are the closest hobie dealer. I did however not realize that today was the Navy - Air Force football game and got caught in some traffic. I got to check out the new revo 11 and the sport. thinking about picking up one or the other for my girl friend. I also checked out the pro Angler and that thing is NICE!!!! but I can definitely see why everyone says you really need a trailer for those with all that extra weight. I picked up the stow bag for the mirage drive while i was there.

I was hoping to see some scotty rod holders and mounts today but neither place seems to carry them. Is there somewhere local to find kayak accessories?? Havent even tried Dicks or Sports authority yet. Do they have much of a selection? I did stop at REI a couple weeks ago but didnt even know what to look for then and from what i remember, their selection of gear wasnt that much either.

By the way, Im located in Essex, MD if anyone knows a close place to get some gear.

I think im going ahead and ordering the Stolquist fishing PFD tonight from Austin Kayak. They did have the hobie version at backyard boats but they were $120 + tax.
                        Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 10-02-2011, 03:43 AM.
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

i was under the impression that cabela's had the cuda ff/cp but have never been to their store.

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post

I think im going ahead and ordering the Stolquist fishing PFD tonight from Austin Kayak. They did have the hobie version at backyard boats but they were $120 + tax.
                            I try to support local businesses, but some times they don't have what I need or are significantly more pricey. I have ordered a few things from Austin Kayak. Their prices and service have been outstanding. They also seem to have a wide selection of merchandise.

Disclosure: I have no financial stake in Austin Kayak -- I am just a satisfied customer.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Ditto on Austin Kayak. Ive ordered a few different things from there and have had good experiences thus far.
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X