Idle hands make...jig heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle hands make...jig heads

Had some time, some new hooks, and a need for some customized, flashy jig heads.

Here's what I came up with. Made some 3/4 oz, 1 oz, and 1 1/2 oz heads. Hooks are Mustad 32786BLN, 3/0 in 3/4 oz, and 4/0 in 1 and 1 1/2 oz heads. I downsized the hook for the 1 1/2 ouncers from the recommended 5/0 to a 4/0 as an experiment. Now there's less hook in the plastic, so maybe more action? Don't know, but will give it a shot.

I've used these hooks in the ultra minnow mold to make bucktails. Very successful on flounder/fluke when combined with Gulp. Hoping to get out to OC in the near future to take advantage of the fluke while they're there.

Thanks to Pinch for the idea to use them with soft plastics as well (and some of the color combos). Some of these will be getting some hair, but my main goal is to tempt some stripers away from the bridge pilings. We'll see. I think they look pretty good matched up with those salt water assassins.

Problem is once you spend all that time making them pretty it kind of hurts to lose them.

I've got about 20 more jig heads to powder paint. Got any good color recommendations?

Those are very nice looking jigheads. You will enjoy catching fish even more when you know that you made the lures.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Those look great.

They are sure to catch.

Comment

very nice!
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Nice. You want to sell some?
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Ha Ha. No, not trying to make any money off these. Just making them for fun.
            I'll toss you a handful if I ever see you on the water. I'd love to see if they work for other people. Thanks for the compliments.

Comment

very nice. i know what you mean i get pissed when i lose one i made

Comment

i just poured my first ultra minnow jigs too. I also used the 4/0 hook on the 1.5 oz. what kinda paint did you use? They look awesome.

Comment

pro-tec

Comment

Working...
                  X