Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap alternative to Hobie Evolve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Trolling...ht_3875wt_1165

thanks for posting. that's first published alterntive to evolve i've seen.

i don't feel like i need power now, and technically; if a boat is powered, in MD, i believe you're supposed to register the boat with DNR. and put your numbers on the hull?

but,..., how hard could it be to shorten a trolling motor shaft?

and several ways to make a 'plug' that fits in the hull. for example - line that hull area with plastic sheet, foam in place with hi-density foam, remove the plug, sand it a little, install a dowel in the plug (for locking under the cams), then fiberglass over the plug to make it strong.

i don't see too much need to steer the trolling motor when the rudder does fine.

ps - years back, a friend of mine got a ticket for no registration. his 'boat' was homemade from a single piece of plywood bent up at one end with sides and transom fiberglassed on. it was used as a marina utility boat and had an OB and he was towing another boat in a navigable waterway.

Comment

Island Hoppers make a more solid set up. It does cost more. They also make a side mount, there you can mount your own motor. I think Memory Maker uses the side mount.

http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com...ivesystem.html

The only problem with the mirage drive set up is that it will only allow use of a 30lb thrust motor. I have used the side mount set up on my ocean kayaks.

Comment

Yes it is a cheap alternative but it only has 18 lbs thrust .......... that's not much ......... a 30 lb thrust only moves my PA 3.5 mph ........ the evolve is supposed to go 5.5 - 6.2 mph and has a lithium battery ........

There are others on the market but this one seems way underpowered ....... as Dogfish said ..... check out Island Hoppers .....

I have a side mount with both a 30 lb and a 45 lb motor ......... the thing I don't like is the battery weight ......... you really have to tie it down so it doesn't shif when you lean .........

Thinking about the Torqeedo that's made for the Yaks .......... sounds expensive but when you break it down ....... well yeah .... it's still expensive .......

but ........ the whole thing w/battery is less than 20 lbs, has a kill switch, infinite speed remote control, can troll all day on 1 battery, has speed over 6 mph (but wears the battery out fast) turn over and it stops, completely water proof etc. ......... also thinkg about the more powerful Torqeedo's if I could mount them properly

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/hn/produc...light-403.html

http://www.seakayakermag.com/2010/Aug10/torqeedo.htm
        Last edited by Memory Maker; 09-14-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I've been using a 30 lbs thrust Minn Kota on my Trident 13 for over 2 years on the Bay. I wouldn't go less than 30 for sure.

My set-up uses a home-made side mount. Works well on straights. Only big disadvantage with the set-up is you don't get responsive turns. I realized this after using my Outback with the rudder at the stern. To hold position, responsive turns are very important when working pilings and jetties in currents, wind, and chops. For a given force, the rudder at the stern gives you a greater moment arm to turn the yak versus a rudder at mid-yak. I guess the best retrofit would be the bassyak or any system where the rudder (or rudder/motor) is at the stern.

Looks like an Island Hopper option is a 30 lbs thrust motor mounted in the Mirage drive well. Do you steer the yak via the motor or via the existing rudder at the stern? If stern, then it looks like you'll get responsive turns.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

yeah im liking the bassyak stern drive, with the hobies stow and go rudder you can pop it up and down with less hassle and still have the mirage drive installed just in case

Comment

I have been using a BassYak 55lb thrust stern mounted motor for about two years and before that an Island Hopper side mount. The 55lb thrust does not really give me more speed. The reason, is that the trolling motor prop tops out its efficiency at a certain speed. The 55 lb thrust motor will move a heavier craft faster to that given top speed. With kayaks you are not moving the weight of, for example a bass boat, which is what trolling motors are designed. As you may have noticed, the props do not have much pitch, relatively flat. They rev up quick and reach their top efficiency quickly. I used a 30 lb thrust, side mount motor on my 15' trident and got about 4 mph with a fresh battery. I use the 55 lb thrust motor on my OK Big Game prowler and get about 3.7 mph. Same type of prop, but a wider kayak. I have also started to use a second battery in the Big Game, which also adds to the resistance. I wanted a 55 lb thrust motor, so that the kayak would recover its speed quicker following a series of waves or wake. It would take the 30 lb thrust longer to recover. Until the price of the lithium Ion batteries come down, the heavy wet cell or glass matt batteries will be the way to go. I don't use my trolling motor for speed. I use it for just that, trolling. I like to troll the shallows with a quiet craft.

The Torqueedo does have a prop with greater pitch. However, the Torqueedo is a much more proprietary type product. You must use their parts and batteries. You will need a second battery to fish and reliably return to the lauch point, unless you want to paddle or peddle back. Even if you could adapt another type battery, you would not have the GPS capability, which is built into the Torqueedo battery to give speed-to-distance read outs. I have heard a Torqueedo run out of the water, and it makes a whinning sound, possbly gears. It makes more noise than a traditional trolling motor, at least in my opinion. It does appear that the Torqueedo does give more speed for power use. Mostly due to the propeller. It seems as if there is no one system that is all inclusive for the kayak fisher. It would be nice if Torqueedo would make a motor for use with other type batteries. A second Torqueedo battery costs about $599, at my last check. Given the price of the Torqueedo motor, that could get expensicve quick. You could prbably get a side mount trolling motor and a 100 ah lithium Ion battery for the price of a Torqueedo setup. Just something to think over.

All of this, also does not take into account the added work and weight of launching a kayak with motor and batteries.

Comment

as luck would have it, this afternoon i came on an offer of a trolling motor at the right price (free to pick-up). any opinons on driving an outback with a minnkota rated at 55# thrust reasonable, or just plain wrong?

ps - the motor is from a bass boat and has electronice control issues.

Comment

Dogfish ........ Great analysis ........ thanks

Yes ....... Torqueedo does whine ........ and I wish they would give a bigger battery .......... the ultralite draws 29.6 volts so you need a battery for that however, other torqueedo's use 12 volts ........ they are all built for bear ..... German engineering .......

Have you looked at these props ....... might give you the speed you want .........

Sorry that the url didn't post ....... Thnks Dogfish for pointing it out ....... here it is ......... http://www.kipawapropellers.com/
                  Last edited by Memory Maker; 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Battery life of 2 years!! maybe not worth the money

I have a Hobie Evolve and after two years - just in time for the warranty to be expired!! the battey is dead. New battery $800 plus shipping!!

With a $1 a day for ownership or $35 per trip ( for me) is a bit much

Comment

I had researched this extensively & considered a couple of DIY solutions for my PA14. I purchaded an Island hopper. 46 # of thrust & the remote option, many/most motors reduce speed by generating heat which is not a smart solution. The one I have actually reduces battery draw when going slower (I think the evolve is the only other one that I have seen that does this.) http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com...om-motors.html Battery is a 75 amp hour from a battery wholsaler. It is heavy and PA accomodates it wityh no issues. Motor is virtually silent, & top speed is about 4.3 knots when yak is fully loaded. I have not yet run out of juice, but in 8 hours of fishing I'm not contatntly moving either. I am happy with 46 pound of thrust, & doubt 18 pounds would move my yak fast enough to make me happy.
                      Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                      Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Working...
                      X