Lynnhaven Inlet 9/10/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynnhaven Inlet 9/10/11

On Saturday I left Salisbury at 4:30Am and made the 1.5 hour drive to Lynnhaven Inlet. it was my first time fishing there and targeting specks/reds....so I was chalking this up to a learning experience right off the bat. I wasnt expecting much. However, any day on the water is awesome, so please dont think Im complaining in any way.

Obstacle# 1 - Learning to throw a cast net. Commical and challenging, but with persistence, I ended up with a livewell full of mullet. I also wasted a good hour trying to find the little guys. Next time this wont be a problem. Which brings me to...

Obstacle # 2- I couldnt get the livewell to prime and cirrculate water. Ive since read the directions (must be a man thing to do this after the fact) and I now know i should have just peddled like crazy with the intake pointed to the bow.

Obstacle # 3 - Locating fish. I was primarily locating reds so I soaked some bait in the narrow creeks. I did see one tailing early in the AM, but I was moving at a pretty good pace and could not slow down enough in time without spooking him. He hauled ace out of there with a huge splash taking my hopes and dreams of a red with him. End of my red quest. By the end of the outgoing I realized (through talking with a helpful wader) that I should be using the mullet on a carolina rig in the deeper water on the edge of the banks.

I had to return home shortly after and ended the day with one mystery fish caught (and by caught I mean snagged) on a gulp mullet. Sorry no pics, but it was about 6 inches and resembled a small spadefish, but with less defined black stripes. I am returing on Saturday or Sunday and will be much more prepared. It was my first time taking my Outback out in "real" saltwater and I put in about 25 miles on it. Great day and much knowledge learned.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

I usually catch the bait in 3 places.

1) That slough(?) right across the channel as you get out of crab creek. During low tide, the sand bar is exposed and people beach it there and cast.

2) In the middle to the left of crab creek. Once again, during low tide, the bar is exposed and you can cast the channel there.

3) in the middle by marker 5 and 6. There's an oyster bar there with a few pockets by the grass.

I saw tail flaps along the marsh on that 5/6 channel but I thought it was specks because the one I caught sure looked like it.

Comment

Working...
    X