wheelchair battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheelchair battery

anybody consider using a wheelchair battery instead of a car type battery.... my buddy purchased a used ok prowler and the previous owner rigged an electric motor up and is using a wheelchair battery we fished for about 4 hours on sunday and he had 60% of his battery life left. much smaller and lighter then a car type..... curious may cause a little investigation on a alternate power source for some to consider

The shortcomings of electric cars, boats, planes, etc. has been the relatively short life of batteries- hopefully new technologic break troughs in battery materials, battery size and ability to recharge quickly is on the horizon because we definitely need to get off our dependency on fossil fuels- Wheelchair batteries should be a battery that can handle frequent recharging without getting a "set"
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I would definitely use a wheelchair battery, but I don't think it has the capacity. I use a 50 pound marine battery with 85 amp-hour to power a 30 pound thrust Minn Kota on my Trident 13. I'm out on the water 4 -7 hours. The most I used up was 70%, and that's with a combo of drifting, full throttle, and part throttle. I do manage the battery energy. That is, I paddle AND use motor when I'm going places. Most of my trips are in the Bay with lots of headwinds and currents.

I could go with a 105 AH battery, but it's bigger and heavier. Frankly, I don't really need more capacity because I do power management.

What is the capacity of your wheelchair battery? I assume it's a deep cycle battery.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

You know whats interesting. Going into this EK realm, I naturally wanted the biggest, baddest group 24 battery for my Torque. I have two big batteries...one wet cell and one AGM. Most of the time I dont use half of my battery's capacity in my outings. Happened that one time moc & I fished the susky for like 5 hours with him in tow. I would gladly use a more convenient, smaller, lighter battery (deep cycle) with half of the aH rating.
        Last edited by MetroMan; 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Of course I'll still keep my big boy battery for those trolling trips

Comment

I frequently run down my two 105 AH batteries. However, I do alot of trolling. Its not that the batteries go dead, they just start running down and won't keep up the trolling speed needed to keep the lures working properly in current, wind, waves and wake. Also, remember, it is not good to run batteries too deep into the cycle. Sometimes I may troll for 8 hours and still have 40 to 50% capacity. With one battery, I would have killed the battery.

I agree, there needs to be some improvement on battery technology. However, that is not going to happen, as long as the powers at be, in this and other countries, have their money tied up in an oil based economy and infrastructure. A 6 or 10 lb lithum Ion (spell?) battery would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
              I frequently run down my two 105 AH batteries. However, I do alot of trolling. Its not that the batteries go dead, they just start running down and won't keep up the trolling speed needed to keep the lures working properly in current, wind, waves and wake. Also, remember, it is not good to run batteries too deep into the cycle. Sometimes I may troll for 8 hours and still have 40 to 50% capacity. With one battery, I would have killed the battery.

I agree, there needs to be some improvement on battery technology. However, that is not going to happen, as long as the powers at be, in this and other countries, have their money tied up in an oil based economy and infrastructure. A 6 or 10 lb lithum Ion (spell?) battery would be much appreciated.
              You can get those batteries now. You just need tons of extra cash to afford them.

60 amp
              http://lithiumion-batteries.com/12v60AhrG31ND.aspx

100 amp
              http://lithiumion-batteries.com/12v100aegg49nd.aspx

Comment

It's almost laughable at how cost prohibitive those Li batteries are.

A few of these in series would be awesome

http://www.batteryspace.com/Polymer-...-with-PCB.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                  You can get those batteries now. You just need tons of extra cash to afford them.

60 amp
                  http://lithiumion-batteries.com/12v60AhrG31ND.aspx

100 amp
                  http://lithiumion-batteries.com/12v100aegg49nd.aspx
                  I know, I have seen those before. That is why I don't even consider those. The regular glass matt batteries are bad enough.

Comment

only 28lbs but 1400.00 ouch! what about the six pack optima marine batteries they always worked well for me on my cc

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                      It's almost laughable at how cost prohibitive those Li batteries are.

A few of these in series would be awesome

http://www.batteryspace.com/Polymer-...-with-PCB.aspx
                      That must be close to a Torqueedo battery. They sell for $599.00. Although, the Torqueedo must be smaller, at 6lbs.

Comment

i have seen some of the wheelchair batteries 30amp to 60amp deep cycle for around or under 200.00 not sure what type of amps are needed for a 12 volt motor 35 to 45lb thrust to give @ 6 to 8 hours fish time. some of the batteries i've seen on line are in the 75.00 to 150.00 range not sure they will work based on the amps needed..... my buddies battery is half the size of a car battery and seems it will allow him to fish @ 6 to 8 hrs on a charge. i didn't have a chance to look at it closely. very small foot print with his second battery to power his fish finder the two paired together didn't take much more room then a large marine deep cycle the 500.00 to 1000.00 batteries hell no not a shot i would even consider spending that much, i was curious with the size and weight difference and the cost of course between the two.

Comment

Working...
                        X