Is it Just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Just me?

Or does anyone else not like the Hobie anchor.

I don't have much luck with getting it to hold very well anywhere. Also when I pull it up, it spins and causes the line to get all twisted up. Am I doing something wrong?

I have a mushroom style anchor that I used on my other kayak and although its much heavier and takes up more space, I think I will start using this on my Outback because of my frustration with the Hobie anchor.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

I guess it is just me...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

It's way too light. I picked up a folding 5 pounder from West Marine and had much better luck getting it to hold. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that goofy little anchor.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I do not use the Hobie anchor either. I agree that it is too light. I use a small Bruce Anchor.

Comment

Did you buy it or did it come with your boat? I think I have anchored twice total on the kayak... I use the drift sock all the time though!
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

The anchor came with the boat. I have never used a drift sock, but maybe I'll give it a try...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

What else came with your boat?
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

that tiny anchor might be good an a calm lake but not in any type of real current. drift sock works good when its windy but if its calm and the tides moving it just moves with you. Delaware? had a good idea, a piece of coated chain about 3' long to drag and slow you down on a fast drift. going to pick some up and try it at RI on sat. only thing i can think of as negative is that it might spook fish on the bottom dragging along

Comment

I have a grappling anchor that's probably about 5 pounds and it works reasonably well. Just make sure you have enough line out. If the anchor were much lighter it would be pretty tough.

I also got a free anchor from my mechanic...a brake rotor is an awesome anchor. It's about 10 lbs and mechanics have tons they'd be willing to give you.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                    I also got a free anchor from my mechanic...a brake rotor is an awesome anchor. It's about 10 lbs and mechanics have tons they'd be willing to give you.
                    There are probably plenty of unused items around most households that could serve as an anchor. Before fishing at Ocean City a month ago, I made an anchor out of an old sledge hammer head, then ran a piece of metal stock through the hole. I added a bolt on either end to help it catch and hold the bottom. I found an old dry roasted peanut jar that I use as a spool on which to wind the cord that serves as the anchor line. It worked for holding me in all but the strongest current (the strongest I measured that day was 5.5 mph). The downside is that it is a pain to wind up that much weight while the current is still pushing you.

I also thought of making an anchor by taking a mesh bag (like used to sell citrus fruit) and adding rocks or lead sinkers. I don't know if that would work or not.
                    Attached Files
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                      What else came with your boat?
                      In addition to the hobie anchor:
                      all of the normal stuff: seat, cart, paddle, mirage drive, drive well plug, 2 hobie tackle boxes with some tackle, hobie dry bag

The extras: hobie anchor trolley, 2 hobie rod holder extenders, torqeedo motor, motor battery, motor dry bag, Eagle cuda FF, FF battery
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I used the mushroom anchor that I already had for my other yak last night at the bay bridge and it worked fairly well. I think its a 10 pounder. Thats a pretty innovative anchor that you made Mr Veil! However, I've looked around the house and don't have anything that would really work. I would think that your mesh bag idea may end up getting snagged on the bottom and then breaking the bag rendering the "anchor" useless, but it might work in some situations...
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X