Want Pliers that Don't Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want Pliers that Don't Rust

I buy $5-$10 so called stainless steel pliers, but these things rust. Cabelas has some for $50-$80. Don't know if they really rust. Van Staal has $200 and over $300 stainless steel or titanium pliers. Come on, do I have to spend that much?
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
    I buy $5-$10 so called stainless steel pliers, but these things rust. Cabelas has some for $50-$80. Don't know if they really rust. Van Staal has $200 and over $300 stainless steel or titanium pliers. Come on, do I have to spend that much?
    those cabelas ones are nice. Rapala has a decent pair too...

http://www.rapala.com/products/tools..._steel_pliers/

The rapala ones are pretty nice.

Comment

A few weeks ago I bought a set of Rapala Alumapro pliers for less that $20 at Dicks Sporting Goods. I have used them several times so far and am pleased - no evidence of rust. They come with a holster in case you like wearing them on your belt.

http://www.rapala.com/products/tools/8_alumapro_pliers/
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I second J.A.'s comment. They're a good deal for the price and you can buy two without breaking the bank. After 6 months of fishing in Central America mine showed some rust on the screws near the carbide cutters. Mine were almost never rinsed off and were abused quite a bit. With normal care they should last a couple of seasons. Sadly mine got confiscated at the airport in Mexico. I will say that they cannot cut bigger saltwater hooks but I had another tool for that.
        www.anglerswithoutborders.com
        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

The Rapala rust slightly. I have those and you have to rinse them or the joint rusts and become stuck. A little W40 and they become smooth again.

Comment

put a little WD-40 in the joint and work the rust out. even 304 stainless will get some rust in saltwater

Comment

I have a pair of these at my cottage in Canada for removing hooks from Northern Pike....freshwater, granted, but no rust. the spring might rust in salt water but it is not an essential part of the pliers. http://www.ioffer.com/i/titanium-all...39?source=eisi
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

i got a good deal on a pair of VS pliers so thats what I use. i rarely rinse stuff off, and got tired of buying new pliers so i broke down and got a pair of titanium pliers. ive had them for a few years now, never washed or rinsed and no signs of rust. if you want rust proof then you have to go with titanium pliers, they never rust. a lot more expensive though.

ive heard good things about the browning pliers sold at bass pro, they run $50 and they usually go on sale for $30 every once in a while.

also, you can take a look at these from melton tackle. they are titanium coated for $40
                http://www.meltontackle.com/products...ng-pliers.html
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

those pliers at melton are nice i like the built in split ring tooth real handy and you dont have to buy both

Comment

I'm really looking for it to remove hooks and cut line, not split rings. That Alumapro looks like I may try it. The Cabela's aluminum one also looks good. Maybe I'll try several different ones.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

J & H tackle has accurate pliers on sale too.
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        J & H tackle has accurate pliers on sale too.
                        Those pliers are nice but i cant see paying that much for a pair of pliers no matter how nice they are. I would be nervous about dropping them every time i used them.

I had a cheap pair of Shakespeare X-tools floating pliers and they worked great for cutting braid and mono and hook removal. They float and this was accidentally tested and conformed. . Unfortunately being cheap and mostly plastic they broke trying to tighten a nut.

I got a set of ADVANCED ANGLER ALUMINUM PLIERS from Cabelas and they are in the trash after 4 trips. The cutter blade screws stripped of and the carbides fell into the water. The jaws never completely closed properly and bent when trying to clinch down a Snell on heavy leader. I just looked at the site and they have discontinued them. I guess that's why they were 50% off when i bought them ($20).

I just ordered another cheap set of X-tools pliers for $12. I will just make sure not to tighten any nuts with them.

Comment

i think i have the cheapest ss pliers available dont know what brand but they have 2 spring steel pieces to open them, when they get so rusty i cant open them a couple drops of oil and work them back and forth a few times and they are good to go. i think they were under 10.00 about 8 years ago

Comment

I wasn't saying I own those... Just if you want really nice ones then those are available too...

I use a pair of needle nose pliers I have had since my dad let me borrow them to go fishing when I was like 10. They rust but every few trips I oil them and I'm back in business. They made a mess of my plug bag but oh well! They were the right price... Free!

I have some wright and McGill ones and they are terrible. Can't cut anything or grip at all!
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

WD 40s supposed to attract fish anyway. made from fish oil too

Comment

Working...
                              X