Suggestions Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions Please!

I purchased a Ocean Kayak Scrambler XLT several weeks ago and I bought a Hummingbird Pirahna 170 today and I would like to hear your alls suggestions on how I should rig it. I have one supply hatch up in front of my foot rests. Where would you mount the fishfinder and how would you run the wires?

Thanks!

Randy

If you have an inset area under the scupper hole, that is the best area to mount a thru hull trasducer. There are also those here on the forum that will be glad to explain how to do an electrician's putty type transducer mount, so that you can shoot through the hull. I am a supper hole mounting type. That seems easiest. Humminbird does do a trade in, if you need to get a thru hull transducer.

As for a battery, there are kayak companies that sell battery/battery box/ and charger combinations. That is the easiest way to go. That way you have a waterproof box for the battery. Cabelas even has a battery combination for the kayak, with a charger. To that you can add a Pelican box or for that matter a modified waterproof food container from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I have a BB&B food container for my 1&2 battery switch. The batteries are no more that a lawn mower type battery, which you can get from the Battery Warhouse, if you want to go local. A caveat, take your manual with you, should you go local for a battery, so they will know the volts and how much draw. Get a battery that will have a good capacity. However, your FF does not draw that much.

For the Scrambler you need to choose a place to mount the Fish Finder. A flat area out of the way should be good. The Scrambler doesn't really have a deck for the FF, but it is a nice open kayak for all of you gear. There are also companies like Scotty and Ram that make mounts for fish finders, that may also be another option. Those mounts will also raise your FF up out of the way and further out of the spray. You can also find many how-to do things on YouTube about kayak installations. You should also take a look at those.

Keep checking back to your post, as there will be many others who will want to help you with some insight.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X