new bluefish lure does the trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bluefish lure does the trick

hey everyone .yesterday morning i poured about 15 1 ounze inline trolling sinker.i then sanded them and made them shiny and gave them some texture.then i took a small split ring and a small treble hook .and wala. i slayed the blues in the river on this homemade lure yesterday.i made a few white ones with blue tops.then some silver with dots and a yellow mouth like a menhaeden color.i mite make some 3 ounce ones for vertical jigging.
    Attached Files

thats a great job ......... I know they work too ...... people have been using that for awhile but I can't think what they call them .......... you might want to switch the treble for a single hook ..... you won't miss as many strikes as you'd think and try flattening a couple and give it a little upeard curve about 3/4 back ........... twirls at it's snapped up and flutters on the way down ...... drives em crazy ......

Comment

Some call them Trout Bombs. I've had success with white ones this year. Single hook on my version.

Comment

Nice.

Like Memory Maker said hammer two sides flat and powder coat them white or chartreuse. Put some prism tape and a dressed hook.

Comment

Be careful with sanding those weights- that lead grit can get all over/into stuff, including you.

Where on the South are you intercepting the blues?

Comment

Originally posted by toadfinger View Post
            Be careful with sanding those weights- that lead grit can get all over/into stuff, including you.

Where on the South are you intercepting the blues?
            selby bay.

Comment

I was going to chum in the South River tomorrow, but the South wind is going to trump that idea. I'll just have to go crabbing instead, or maybe Potomac Pike.

Lots of folks are using those trout bombs.

Comment

pouring lures is fun. what you have is close to a "tin squid"...a classic surf casting lure. You can make a good sqid mold with a keel out of plaster of paris. you'll have fun.
                BTW, heed the advice on sanding lead and make certain to wear gloves when you do. Here is an example of home made squids....but use a treble hook like you did on yours
                http://books.google.com/books?id=pwg...memade&f=false
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Yup. very versatile lure, but I never had a name for them. Always wondered what a trout bomb was.

Is there a good place to put a kayak in close to selby bay? I found a launch farther up the south river, but the area around selby looks highly developed/inaccessible.

Comment

well, i know don launches from hilsmare.on turkey point...therr is 4 bridgs.after u go over the bridge there is 2 bridges.the one on the left has a boat ramp direct;y 2 selby bay

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
                      well, i know don launches from hilsmare.on turkey point...therr is 4 bridgs.after u go over the bridge there is 2 bridges.the one on the left has a boat ramp direct;y 2 selby bay
                      I actually checked that place out, but came away with the impression that that ramp was reserved for marina members only. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask if they'd allow a simple yakker to use their ramp. Maybe offer to pay a small fee? Not sure how that kind of thing works, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Sorry...I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

Comment

i use that ramp alot before i put my kayak on my neighbors beach.its all cool with them

Comment

Working...
                        X