No announcement yet.

How do you plan on fishing this spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you plan on fishing this spring?

So what methods are you guys planning on using?

I plan bloodworm chunking from the surf a few times.

On the kayak, i'm not sure if i will drown any bloodworms, still havent decided, but i plan to trolling 2 rods with tandem rigs. i may purchase a 7" umbrella to try out, but i'm not convinced umbrellas are that much more productive in the early spring. one thing i do want to try is trolling some large wood swimmers. i wonder if the action of these would entice some real cows.

If i get around to making a trolling rocket launcher for the Revo, i may troll a third rod. my idea was to use the moulded rod holders behind the seat to hold a 3 rod holder made out of PVC. the two side ones would point away from the kayak and forard a bit do the rod tips would be in front of me, but low. the the 3rd would just be sticking up in the middle.

we shall see.
    sigpic

i'm going to shore fish until the air gets warmer. 50s on sat. might head to Wye mills for some yp. going to keep it simple, try that new rig, some bucktails with BKDs and bws. rocket launcher sounds interesting, i always get tangled when using more than 1 rod in the kayak. you will have your hands full if you hookup with 2 fish in the upper 30s. woohoo

Comment

yes, that is my only concern, hooking up with 2 fish at the same time, BUT, that just may add to the fun! maybe i should find out?

just trolling 2 rods i hav not gotten tangled. key is to just have the lines set out at different distances. basically how charters with a 20 rod spread do. of course with a kayak, it's different, but if youre trolling 2 rods with a 30+ foot difference in line out, the short line will travel under the long line when turning and not get caught up. also watch the weight of lead on the lines as that and speed determines the dept of the lure which is key.

with the rocket launcher, is more of positioning the rod tips low and forward so i dont have to look back often. even when i should just wait for the sound of the drag, i find myself continuously looking back at the tips "just in case."
      sigpic

Comment

even though my revo has 2 built in fm rod holders i mounted to ram revolution rod holders up front so i can see the rod tips to check when they load up with weeds. the revo holders are nice they keep the rods up high and when adjusted they are easy to reach when the bite comes.

Comment

You guys don't have outriggers? That's the best bet!

LOL

Anyways...hope to get some fishing in as after this NorEaster, I think things are gonna bust open! Here's to fishing!

Comment

im sticking with tandem rigs...had good luck with them last year. im not even going to bother with umbrella rigs. I tried the small ones last year and it slowed me down a bit.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I'm planning on trolling bucktails, maybe try a parachute this year.

Have you guys ever tried trolling the tube and worm? I picked on up at a flea market and paddled it around Smith Mountain lake last weekend. It looks like an eel and the NE guys say it's awesome on the Yak. Not sure how our fish will respond though. They tip theirs with a Sandworm I think, I was going to try a blood worm though.
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                Have you guys ever tried trolling the tube and worm? I picked on up at a flea market and paddled it around Smith Mountain lake last weekend. It looks like an eel and the NE guys say it's awesome on the Yak. Not sure how our fish will respond though. They tip theirs with a Sandworm I think, I was going to try a blood worm though.
                I was speaking with a kayak shop owner last week (Captain Kayak) that hails from Long Island. He used them last fall on a trip to Kipto and had great success with them.

Comment

never tried tube and worm or eel. tandem parachute rigs work pretty well in the bay. thats what i've been using. maybe ill try something new this year. how many poles do you guys troll with? last season i tried 3 but it was a pain. the middle pole kept getting tangled.
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

i could use my 12' surf rods as outriggers with those small planers they use up north for muski could run 2 off each side LOL

anybody going to the flats?

Comment

How do you set up your tandem parachute rig? I picked one up for cheap over the winter but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I was wondering how you set it up for the yak, as in what lengths you have between them. I'm planning on trolling some big sassy shads this year and like I said, maybe even try this whole worm thing out.

I'd be interested in hitting the Susky Flats in mid april or so, think we can put a trip together?

Comment

i plan to drop a parashoot back 3' from the spreader to start depending on the depth i see marks at. i'd be up for a day on the flats haven't done that in the kayak yet, iv'e got some big poppers to try.

Comment

my parachutes are about 6oz to 10oz total. 2oz on 7ft leader and 4oz on 10 foot leader tied to a 3 way swivel for example. even though bigger bait will slow me dow int he yak, i may go mch larger bc big fish tend to eat big bait...
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input, the parachute I picked up is 4 ounces. I figured I would just troll it alone on one rod and a tandem of sassy shads or bucktails on the other.

I spend most of my time casting at rock piles or sandbars, so trolling from the Yak will be new to me. Most of my trolling experience from a boat has been different from what seems to be traditional trolling. We use a big cannon ball sinker on about 4 ft of line below a 3 way with a bucktail/6" or bigger grub on about a 15 foot leader. I think people call it bottom bouncing? We troll very slow and keep the cannonball on the bottom, then slowly move the rod towards the bow of the boat, then drop it back in a sweeping motion. You usually pick up a fish at the end of the drop back. I don't think you could do this from a yak unless you had a hobie and legs of steel though.

Comment

i usually troll a 3oz followed by a 6oz about 3ft apart.
                              Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                              X