FishFinder died yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FishFinder died yesterday

Got to investigate the reason my 570 di Hummingbird died but I would expect a broken wire or a dead battery- was in Mattawoman Creek in shallow water with lots of weeds and clutter- the unit was acting funny right before it quit- alternating between no depth and 14 feet of water under the boat when I was sitting on top of weeds-

Flying out early in the am so it will have to wait until I get back- my 65 year old butt is dragging today and I am re-packing my suitcase from last weeks Chicago trip- Like a dummy I left my water in my car yesterday and got dehydrated after fishing for four hours in the heat and humidity- caught several nice bass but still no snakeheads- they were all, way-way back deep in the lilly pads for some reason yesterday- I had caught some really big river minnows in my trap that would have made excellent live lining striper baits- about four to six inches long- had one small bass that couldn't swallow the minnow all the way- good thing I caught and released it- the minnow would have choked it to death-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Got to investigate the reason my 570 di Hummingbird died but I would expect a broken wire or a dead battery- was in Mattawoman Creek in shallow water with lots of weeds and clutter- the unit was acting funny right before it quit- alternating between no depth and 14 feet of water under the boat when I was sitting on top of weeds-

Flying out early in the am so it will have to wait until I get back- my 65 year old butt is dragging today and I am re-packing my suitcase from last weeks Chicago trip- Like a dummy I left my water in my car yesterday and got dehydrated after fishing for four hours in the heat and humidity- caught several nice bass but still no snakeheads- they were all, way-way back deep in the lilly pads for some reason yesterday- I had caught some really big river minnows in my trap that would have made excellent live lining striper baits- about four to six inches long- had one small bass that couldn't swallow the minnow all the way- good thing I caught and released it- the minnow would have choked it to death-
    With big thunderboomers forecast for this afternoon, I got out and unloaded all my gear and put my kayak away- Just like I thought, the clip had come loose on the negative post on the battery terminal- Hummingbird is humming again-

Comment

I glad your fishfinder did not really fail. I always like knowing the depth and contour of the under water environment when I fish, whether I need the fish finder or not when I am hunting for fish.

Comment

Keep tryin'. One day the snakehead hit one too many frogs.

You should re-title your thread. "FF back from the dead?"
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Yeah you're right Tuf- I am going to wait until the weather changes before trying again for the snakeheads again- when it cools off later in September I'll try the creek again- until then I think I'll just stick to fishing around the junction of the Wicomico and the Potomac Rivers- the Cobb Island area where my Sis lives- I have an idea I'll catch plenty of fish, especially the croakers and such- I fish with a chum line running this time of year and anchor up- might try live line a spot or two to see if any stripers are hungry- but with chumming you usually get small blues, catfish and croakers as well as stripers showing up-going to have to wait for fishing for two weeks because of work issues-

Comment

Sorry to hear you never caught your snakehead. It was nice to meet you Saturday and to know someone was catching Bass. Roy and I were both skunked Saturday, but we were in good company as most of the guys on their bass boats couldn't catch anything either. I wish I had known you were short on water, I had extra water with me.

Back at the dock we met Bassman27 and he had a nice stringer of catfish.

It was good meeting you and hope to see you out on the water again.

Dave
            WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

It was nice meeting and fishing with you guys- did your buddy Roy, in the yellow OK Angler, join the forum? I figured to come in when you left the lilly pads but I finally caught that bass that was chasing my minnow when you were there and decided to fish a little while longer- I was hot sweaty and dry when I hit the ramp so I bought a coke at the Kayak rental shop and headed for home-
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I'm getting ready to send Roy the link to the forum. So hopefully he will become a member in a few days. Saturday, when we got back to the dock and were talking to Bassman27, we showed him where you were out in the middle of the lily pads.

Once the weather cools off a little, the fishing should get much better. But for the next few outings, I think I will go perch fishing.
                WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

Originally posted by WST120 View Post
                  I'm getting ready to send Roy the link to the forum. So hopefully he will become a member in a few days. Saturday, when we got back to the dock and were talking to Bassman27, we showed him where you were out in the middle of the lily pads.

Once the weather cools off a little, the fishing should get much better. But for the next few outings, I think I will go perch fishing.
                  Where are you located in Charles County? I live on the Rt 5 (Mattawoman Beantown Road) bypass- last house on the hill before the end of the bypass headed south-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    Where are you located in Charles County? I live on the Rt 5 (Mattawoman Beantown Road) bypass- last house on the hill before the end of the bypass headed south-
                    We're neighbors! I live at the other end of Mattawoman-Beantown Road on Indian Lane. It sounds like we may be seeing more of each other in the near future.
                    WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

Originally posted by WST120 View Post
                      We're neighbors! I live at the other end of Mattawoman-Beantown Road on Indian Lane. It sounds like we may be seeing more of each other in the near future.
                      It is a small world, isn't it? Nice to have someone close that likes to kayak fish- we should coordinate our fishing

Comment

Is your DF ok? I wasn't sure from the first post ....... sure hope it is ........ although you probably don't need it much for the Mattawoman

Comment

Yep, the unit works great once I re-connected the negative clip back on the battery- somehow it had worked it's way loose...must have been touching a bit before it finally fell off and that loose connection gave me faulty readings before it just quit. Of course I couldn't check that on the water and I really didn't need it on the creek fishing in the spatterdock and weeds-

Comment

curious...??? what do you think of your 570 DI considering the same unit. seen comments that it defines structure but lacks in marking fish clearly.... as an owner wondering what your experience has been. Thanks for any input you can share!!

Comment

It isn't a color unit, but that works to the advantage of saving battery life...I honestly haven't used it all that much, but all the features works as advertises (I use a wet well system of mounting the transducer internally) but the DI units transducers are long skinny things that will not work in the scuppers. I really like the five inch screen for definition and viewing. And to your question- I can easily determine fish on the screen- when you pass over a school of bait or the much larger single game fish the detail is enough to determine size, so I haven't got any complaints with the unit. It works just like advertised-
                              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X