Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Rod Advice

Hey All,

So, I'm new to kayak fishing and most of the fishing I've done in the past has been fly fishing, surf fishing, or pier / shoreline fishing with spin reels.

I'm still planning on primarily fly fishing from my kayak, but of course my arm can use a break pretty often slinging a 9 weight around, so I want a good traditional rod / reel setup. I already have a little shimano reel / st. croix spincast rod that I use to throw around 1/4 oz jigs and stuff, but I'm looking for another rod, a little more substantial, to take on some of the larger guys out in the bay and sounds.

Based on some research, I think I'm going to go with the Revo Inshore for a reel. I'm pretty much at a loss as far as rods go though - I've read people like the Skeet Reese Heavy Crankbait 7'10", but I know it's also really heavy and kind of unweildy. I know I should get something around 7' so I can switch sides of the boat if the fish does.

Basically, I'd like to use this to target big stripers, redfish, and even mess around with smaller stuff like flounder and speckled trout. I could spend anywhere from $100 to $300 for the rod, obviously the higher end only if it's really going to make a difference.

So, wise folks on here, suggestions?

Thanks!

Grilled Sardine has an Airwave on the for sale thread that comes highly recommended

Comment

Just look at the thread next to this one: http://www.snaggedline.com/boatyard/...ead.php?t=1666

Comment

Revo inshore is a sweet reel, you'll like it.

As for rods, there are a ton of choices... shimano makes a nice rod, check out the teramar's (MH Fast or Extra fast action should cover most things). Also, the st croix mojo bass and mojo inshores are nice.

I have a carrot stick that I like a lot for light tackle jigging, but it's too delicate for the other stuff you're talking about.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

The revo inshores really are nice, adn the shimano curados are popular and at a symilar price point. make an equally sound investment in a rod leash so your $$ doesn't end up on the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyinYak View Post
            Hey All,

So, I'm new to kayak fishing and most of the fishing I've done in the past has been fly fishing, surf fishing, or pier / shoreline fishing with spin reels.

I'm still planning on primarily fly fishing from my kayak, but of course my arm can use a break pretty often slinging a 9 weight around, so I want a good traditional rod / reel setup. I already have a little shimano reel / st. croix spincast rod that I use to throw around 1/4 oz jigs and stuff, but I'm looking for another rod, a little more substantial, to take on some of the larger guys out in the bay and sounds.

Based on some research, I think I'm going to go with the Revo Inshore for a reel. I'm pretty much at a loss as far as rods go though - I've read people like the Skeet Reese Heavy Crankbait 7'10", but I know it's also really heavy and kind of unweildy. I know I should get something around 7' so I can switch sides of the boat if the fish does.

Basically, I'd like to use this to target big stripers, redfish, and even mess around with smaller stuff like flounder and speckled trout. I could spend anywhere from $100 to $300 for the rod, obviously the higher end only if it's really going to make a difference.

So, wise folks on here, suggestions?

Thanks!
            The Skeet Reese 7'10" magnum crank bait rod is extremely light weight for its stiffness- most of which is in the lower 2/3rds butt section of the rod- it weighs much less than a pound- with the Abu Revo reel and a full spool of line it feels like maybe a pound or so- the length is the only tip off to it being different- that and the outlandish bright yellow color of the rod- The Captain Blair Wiggings Flats Blue rod is just as light, but has a little longer handle than the Skeet Reese- you can cast both all day and not be tired- I would deem these rods and reels as light to medium tackle- not ultra light, but light-

If you go with a medium action fresh water bass rod of approximately 7 feet with a decent reel you should be happy- and it should handle about anything- I have lots of rods and reels and tend to buy special purpose rods for special purposes- I am a rod junkie, so don't mind me- I used to build my own rods but gave that hobby up years ago when I had many "fishing buddies" that wanted me to build rods for them- it got to be a bit too much-
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I just picked up a 7’6” Ugly stick spinning rod from BPS today to try jigging for Rockfish with. After reading this post, I might have to reconsider my choice due to it being medium light action. It seems that most of you are using medium action. Any thoughts or comments on this choice? Thanks.
              Don
              2012 Hobie Revo 13'
              2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Don I thought about it on my drive home that I should have let you cast with mine. I think uglys are great, just not for this style. You want something graphite not fiberglass... 6-7ft... Fast to extra fast action (only the very tip of the rod should have any bend)... And medium or medium heavy power. The bass pro graphite series 6.5ft medium heavy fast action rod is what I used for years until upgrading this year. It's a great rod for the price and versatile. Maybe try that?

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  Don I thought about it on my drive home that I should have let you cast with mine. I think uglys are great, just not for this style. You want something graphite not fiberglass... 6-7ft... Fast to extra fast action (only the very tip of the rod should have any bend)... And medium or medium heavy power. The bass pro graphite series 6.5ft medium heavy fast action rod is what I used for years until upgrading this year. It's a great rod for the price and versatile. Maybe try that?
                  Thanks Michael, I will take this one back and look for that rod.
                  2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                  2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Originally posted by Shield View Post
                    Thanks Michael, I will take this one back and look for that rod.
                    Sounds good, it's just a suggestion, there are tons of others like it! The bionic ones and carbonite ones are even nicer, but I the graphite series gets the job done!

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've definitely got more info to work with now. I like the sound of the Skeet Reese, but I'm also considering some higher price ones like the Teramar Inshores or maybe even a G Loomis. I tend to get sucked in to high end gear, so I might as well give in early and buy once (hopefully - that rod leash suggestion should help keep it that way!)

Thanks again! Looking forward to fishing with you all!

Nick

Comment

Powell's if you really want to go up there.

Another option, go to Shore Tackle on Kent Island and tell him you heard about his shop from the kayak tournament he sponsored on Kent Island benefiting CCA (probably help you get the hook up). His custom light tackle rods are insanely nice and he backs them with a warranty. He'll make you exactly what you're looking for! Only recommendation I would have is to get out there with a less expensive rod first so you get the feel for what you're looking for (as in the what would you change about this one), so that way you have something for him to work with.

I was in his shop the other day to get some jigheads and silver/blue bkds and his rods are ridiculous! The "kayak" rod he makes is nice but it's too soft for my liking for light tackle jigging, check out his LTJ stuff.

Comment

Powell's if you really want to go up there.

Another option, go to Shore Tackle on Kent Island and tell him you heard about his shop from the kayak tournament he sponsored on Kent Island benefiting CCA (probably help you get the hook up). His custom light tackle rods are insanely nice and he backs them with a warranty. He'll make you exactly what you're looking for! Only recommendation I would have is to get out there with a less expensive rod first so you get the feel for what you're looking for (as in the what would you change about this one), so that way you have something for him to work with.

I was in his shop the other day to get some jigheads and silver/blue bkds and his rods are ridiculous! The "kayak" rod he makes is nice but it's too soft for my liking for light tackle jigging, check out his LTJ stuff.
                          Awesome - I like the sound of a custom rod

Comment

I'm not affiliated, just participated in that event and always like to give local guys some business.

http://www.shoretackleandcustomrods.com/

Comment

Sounds good, it's just a suggestion, there are tons of others like it! The bionic ones and carbonite ones are even nicer, but I the graphite series gets the job done!
                              I just picked this combo up and will try it. It is the BPS CarbonLite 6’6” MH fast with Shimano Sahara Spinning Reel. The employee suggested 20lbs braid, which I put on. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to try it out this weekend or Monday. It seemed like a decent price for the combo and just learning how to jig. Thanks Michael

http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Sahar...05072/-1668639
                              2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                              2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Working...
                              X