More New Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More New Guys

Add me as another "new guy". I have an old Trinity Bay Mallard ( picked up at Sunny's Surplus 10 years ago ) I'm looking to outfit for yak' fishing. Its been collecting dust in my parents garage so I figure its time to bring her to her new home and put her to good use. She's not a sit on top made for fishing but I'm hoping to make due.

Anybody out there working with a "sit-in" cockpit style yak?

i do not have a a sit in but i do see them out on the bay. i see them more often on the potomac or local lakes though. let us know where and when you decide to head out! Welcome!
    sigpic

Comment

welcome, make sure you have all your safety stuff.

Comment

Welcome...thanks for joining.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. Now I have the issue of splitting time between work, starting my garden up for the year and fishing. Lets hope thats the worst of my worries this year.

Comment

^ have you started rigging your yak yet. trolling season is right around the corner.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Not yet...I've seen some interesting ideas here and on other forums though. First step will be getting a crate mounted for gear and rods, then maybe an anchor. The mallard has a pretty good amount of storage space behind the seat/below deck and its so stable you can twist your body to access it pretty easily so once I have a crate on I should be good to go.

Comment

an anchor is not one of my most useful items, a simple trolley using ss spring clips attached to the front and rear handles tied to a line and another spring clip in the middle is good for the anchor and more used drift sock.

Comment

the only time i use an anchor is when im fishing for bait fish. ever since i got the hobbie i think ive used it maybe once or twice.
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

What about freshwater, would an anchor be helpful there? I would think it would not hurt if I was in a river and wanted to setup some where. The last time I fished from a canoe an anchor would have been handy. Maybe I will consider crossing it off the list.

Comment

i wouldn't cross ot off, simple anchor trolly and a 4lbs sash weight with 50' of floating rode comes in handy it all depends on what type of fishing you want to do and the trolly is handy for drift sock to slow your drift

Comment

Thanks for the tip

Comment

totally get a anchor and set up a anchor trolly. they are very useful and remember to have some method of releasing it very quickly in the event of anything...
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X