X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Purchases

Hook1:

Hawg Trough - measuring board

2 Scotty Rocket Launcher - just in front of the forward rod holders on the Outback

New Water Proof Camera

I think I wanna get the go pro, but I guess I would need a regular camera for photo release for tournaments.

I'm also going to cut down the front of my crate so it is easier to access.
    Anyone done it? What kind of saw did you use?

Obx rat did that to his crate I've been thinking of doing it also.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I was thinking of doing that also after seeing how Kayak Kevin did his. I am also planning on eventually getting a GoPro as my second camera and I am planning on getting my Turbofins for my Hobie this week if all goes according to plan.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
        I was thinking of doing that also after seeing how Kayak Kevin did his. I am also planning on eventually getting a GoPro as my second camera and I am planning on getting my Turbofins for my Hobie this week if all goes according to plan.
        Forgot I want the Turbo package too.... Can XMAS get here sooner haha

Comment

I recently got the sliding hawg trough thing from anglers, it is grey and made by Plano. I figured it is much easier to hold on a kayak. I wish they made the numbers orange though! (or a contrasting color)

Turbo fins are worth it!!! Just have to be careful fishing shallow water. I fished St jerome's yesterday with Joe and I hit the sand a lot with mine getting tossed around the inlet. Still, if you remember to feather the peddles and pull the rudder it is no problem.

The rocket launcher is sweet!!! Much better than the ram! Not as flexible, but solid! One thing to make sure you remember when you do the install is to make sure the flap goes from front to back on the left side. This puts the bump so that the rod holder has to be turned in over the footwell of the kayak. I messed up and was so concerned with not hitting my rudder cables that I missed this detail. My bump is on the wrong side so when the rod holder is at a 90 and I try to adjust the angle with tension from the rod it wants to pop out. Not a big deal just need to keep it angled back slightly.

Looks like you have a good list going!!! My addition is a roof rack so I can put two kayaks on my roof flat. My xterra is just too tall for loading them sideways by myself.
          Last edited by Redfish12; 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
            Hook1:

New Water Proof Camera

I think I wanna get the go pro, but I guess I would need a regular camera for photo release for tournaments.
            Matt -

I don't know if you noticed the old digital camera I had around my neck when we launched on Fri morning. It is a Pentax water resistant model that is nearly 10 years old and has only 3x zoom and 3 megapixels of resolution. However, it is great for boating and fishing since it is water resistant to 5 meters (about 15 ft). On every fishing trip I take, whether by kayak, power boat, or wading in the winter, it is hanging around my neck by a strap (actually the lanyard that came with a thumb drive) and the camera sits in the chest pocket of my shirt.

I am not worried about getting it wet from rain, spray, or even dunking. Since it is getting old, and I was about to get a new camera anyway (I bought a new Canon pocket digital with 14x zoom two weeks ago) I took it snorkeling when I visited the Great Barrier Reef in Australia last month. It is not a true underwater camera that could work for SCUBA diving, but as long as I stayed at the surface, it functioned fine and did not leak a bit. When I got out of the ocean, I rinsed it in fresh water and put it away.

The point of this long discussion is that several of the camera manufacturers now offer models that are water resistant. They tend to cost a bit more, but can help protect your investment over time. Almost all digital cameras these days include a video filming function.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Here is a pic of my crate, I have since cut it down more
              Attached Files
              '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
              '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
              Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Originally posted by OBX_RAT View Post
                Here is a pic of my crate, I have since cut it down more
                What did you cut it with?

Comment

sawz all works best but a hack saw blade will do the job

Comment

Sawzall works good, but be careful because you could break the crate in other places, I used a hacksaw then filed down the edges, a utility knife heated up with a propane torch also works well.
                    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I've found the Pentax optio's for as little as ~40.00 used on ebay (6 meg, VGA video), zip tie 2 foam float balls (about 1") to the strap, keeps on ticking.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      Matt -

I don't know if you noticed the old digital camera I had around my neck when we launched on Fri morning. It is a Pentax water resistant model that is nearly 10 years old and has only 3x zoom and 3 megapixels of resolution. However, it is great for boating and fishing since it is water resistant to 5 meters (about 15 ft). On every fishing trip I take, whether by kayak, power boat, or wading in the winter, it is hanging around my neck by a strap (actually the lanyard that came with a thumb drive) and the camera sits in the chest pocket of my shirt.

I am not worried about getting it wet from rain, spray, or even dunking. Since it is getting old, and I was about to get a new camera anyway (I bought a new Canon pocket digital with 14x zoom two weeks ago) I took it snorkeling when I visited the Great Barrier Reef in Australia last month. It is not a true underwater camera that could work for SCUBA diving, but as long as I stayed at the surface, it functioned fine and did not leak a bit. When I got out of the ocean, I rinsed it in fresh water and put it away.

The point of this long discussion is that several of the camera manufacturers now offer models that are water resistant. They tend to cost a bit more, but can help protect your investment over time. Almost all digital cameras these days include a video filming function.
                      Captian of the plastic Navy
                      1 - Mad River Canoes
                      1- Tarpon 120
                      1- Redfish 10
                      1- Coosa HD
                      2- Cuda 12
                      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

i had, and lost at sea (1) go pro

i'd say the selling point is that you can mount it within arm reach on a kayak and get a frame wide enough to show all of you, and the fishing action with its very wide angle (fisheye) lens. downside is the distorted images from excess wide angle sometimes. forced perspective sort creates a bubble around you and straight lines made curved can put a hurtin on a scenery.

because of that, some wide angle shots just don't capture/relate to my actual experience and memories. but if i had 2 cameras for the yak, a gopro would be one.

pro fishing shows commonly use them for 'net cam' but use regular cameras for everything else.

other downsides are weird menu system/icons. but that's not undoable. and lack of a viewfinder left me guessing what would be in frame when downloaded. but chances are whatever it is will all be in frame, plus more, due to the wide angle.

i replaced it with fujifilm xp20. 14meg stills, WaterResistant to 5 meters, generous lcd viewfinder, shoots hd movies and has i think 10x zoom. tons of other features, flash. it's wide angle, but not fisheye.
                        don't judge it by flounder film, i've taken other stuff that's focused and clear on a 72inch TV. they have a similar but much less expensive model that's essentially identical except that it shoots SD movies. slower processor i guess.

i got mine online ship-to-store to k-mart and saved on regular instore prices. got a grip/wrap portable tripod mount from the kmart photog rack to go with it.

all i want for Christmas is a sweet deal on an outback

Comment

Sorry for your loss- I just recently got my sunfish camera mount from YakAttack on my boat for my GoPro Hero- It works great- just didn't have anything to video- couldn't get mr. Snakehead to bite the hook, but I know how- and I will- The Mighty Mount system with a Sunfish mount gives you great options for over the shoulder shots and the ability to "Pan" the camera as you fish- the Sunfish is made of graphite so it is super light weight but strong- You can change out the wide angle lens on the GoPro for a flat lens for $20.00 if you don't like the wide angle effect. After you use a GoPro for a while the menu system isn't so difficult and is pretty user friendly once you recognize the symbols.

I don't know if I will get another Yak (I really like my OK Prowler) although the bright red Revo that Moc has is the baddest boy toy I have seen...yak envy is a terrible thing...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

cutting

make sure you sand the edges to make sure they are smooth. You wouldnt want to get a snag pulling in a hawg

Comment

For those that have rod holders attached to the crates. What did you all use to attach or mount the rod holders?
                              Hobie Outback
                              WS Tarpon
                              IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Working...
                              X