Looking for kayak fishing tips for Ocean City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for kayak fishing tips for Ocean City

I have never fished in Ocean City before. I am planning a long day trip there on Fri Aug 5 with another Annapolis area kayaker. He has fished from the bridge in OC, but not there from his kayak.

I have seen OC fishing reports from several of the members here. We would appreciate any tips on where to launch, what spots to target, and what terminal tackle (lures, cut squid, live minnnows, etc).

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I wish I could join the meet and greet on Aug 13 in OC. But don't feel too sorry for me -- I will spend the whole day flying to Anchorage, AK. The following day we will drive to Seward and get on a long-range boat. Our private group of six anglers will eat and sleep on the 50-ft boat for 3 nights and be able to fish in locations that are too remote for day trips. Although I doubt that I will get in a kayak while in Alaska, I will post some fishing reports when I get back to a location with internet service.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Can't help with the put in, but check the M&G thread for a map and directions. For tactics, have you tried using either a jighead or bucktail with a gulp swimming mullet? It catches everything!

Seward is beautiful! I'll bet you see a lot of whales on the way out, we did when I was there last year. Targeting halibut? See if they will let you jig for them! You need like a pound jighead and monster gulp but it works and it's pretty fun. We used circle hooks the size of my hand most of the time but got to jig one at the end so that was cool. Make sure you post some pictures!!!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Here the thread with lots of info.

Depending on the tide, we've had great success anchoring on the side of the bridge that the current is running from. casting jigs and bucktails and storm shads.

suspending them higher will produce rock and blue

and jigging them along the bottom with get more flounder.

PM me the times you plan on going that friday and i might try to get off work and fish with you guys if that is okay.

Comment

watch the currents this weekend with the hurricane blowing off shore, they are predicting high water and strong currents in the OC area

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
          watch the currents this weekend with the hurricane blowing off shore, they are predicting high water and strong currents in the OC area
          Thanks for the tip.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I fished in isle of wight bay in OC in late April this year and only caught a skate, but I think it was a little too early for the flounder.

Anyways, I launched from the small beach at the end of Selsey rd. To get to this launch spot, if you are going east on 50, about 1.5 miles before the bridge over the inlet is Keyser Point Rd. Turn left on Keyser point rd and follow about 1.5 miles. Turn right on Selsey rd and follow to the end about 1/2 mile. You can park on beach side of the road. This launch point is an easy paddle to the Thorofare and Dog and Bitch Islands and its not too far from the 90 and 50 bridges.

There is also a ramp off of Golf Course Rd and Sunset Ave. I believe this is where everyone is meeting for the meet and greet. This launch spot would put in closer proximity to fish behind assateague or the actual inlet if you are feeling ambitious.

As far as lures, I think a lot of people do well on the flounder with gulp swimming mullet on bucktail jighead 1/4-1/2 oz. I think Blues are being caught on gotcha plugs.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
            X