a slow death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a slow death

obviously, activity here had slowly diminished. most likely bc the lack of activity from me and updating the blog, but ive been beat from work, stupid parties and other things the past few months. i STILL havent fished since august.

anybody got any ideas on how to keep this place alive during the winter months if people arent fishing? I hope at the least, Maryland Kayak Fishing will take off in the spring.

thoughts?
    sigpic

How about...

setting a few meet-ups at some of the off-season fishing flea markets ?

I like going to the Pasadena Sportfishing Flea Market (Feb) and the MSSA Flea Market in Essex (March)

Just a thought -

Mark

Comment

yeah, i want to do that, but it's hard if no one is checking this place. sucks that i havent been able to post reports and thoughts, but i have nothing to report sicne i havent fished. i will get out there soon though. big rocks are in the bay right now.

i just have to be more proactive...and go fish.
      sigpic

Comment

i've been checking to see if any bodys been doing anything. been out a couple times, 2 saturdays ago in the ran at JGP and yesterday at the coke, 1 fat 14"er. picked up some light weight chest waders that work well, light enough to move in and i can layer some under armor underneath to keep warm. i've got wednesday off if its nice i'm going out in the morning.

Comment

man, am i the only one that has to work?? good luck out there.

have you seen the new power unit for the hobie, torqueedo? it's in the new catalog. $2000!

sigpic

Comment

I'm new to the group and the sport of Kayak fishing, but I am really hoping things around here pick up! It seems like a great community and I can't wait to go out more in the spring.

That being said... just because the cold will run most of us off the water in Kayaks, doesn't mean there isn't great fishing going on right now! I have Wednesday off too and I'm going tonight near the BB to fish from shore in a well know place. I've gone a few times the past few weeks and easily caught over 50 each time. Biggest may only be 25" but on light tackle, it's a blast!

If any of you want to check out some shore fishing this winter or from a boat, let me know! I'll be the guy reeling them in with the strange rig and throwing them all back.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

50 + ?????? wow.....im def in for some shore fishing.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Are you working tomorrow? Otherwise feel free to hit it up tonight. I can't make any promises you'll catch that many fish because it is fishing after all, but they are definitely in the area and if the tide is right you'll catch one on almost every cast.

Should have put a disclaimer though, the vast majority are in the 12-17 inch range. Which is still a ton of fun on my 8 weight or 10 lb. test rod. I'll post my "secret" rig here in a minute and if you set your rod up this way you'll be in some fish for sure. Last time out I even caught a few perch over 9 inches and 4 or 5 shad oddly enough. Big shad too.

Comment

My Rock Rig

This is the rig I was talking about... It's basically a spec rig with two different sized white lures. The small white crappie jig gets hit the most and will eventually get destroyed. I've caught numerous fish over 20" on this little hook, but it does require some delicacy. The white marabou jigs work the best for me as the trailer and sometimes I'll put a white fluke or something as the upper lure. This seems to catch more of the larger fish, but it can go either way.

I usually don't go higher than a 1/4 lead head on the upper jig. The area I fish can have some serious snags and I have found I get a better drift with the lighter rig. Just cast out at about a 90 degree from the flow or a little more than that and let it swing and drift down in the current. You'll feel it get nailed.

Fun thing about this rig... if you catch a snag you get to loose 2 lures instead of 1!!! Bring extras.
                  Attached Files

Comment

i saw that torqueto on KFS in the hobie section, that also can go in the mirage well if you aren't going shallow. pretty cool. if i want something with a motor i'll buy a used cc. after watching all the boats going out of Lewes marina Saturday and all the broken boats, no thanks, been there didn't like that.

going to try to get out in the morning at JGP and fish the drops. if the weather sucks i might see you at SPSP.

Saturday is looking good 48-64, not going to be many more like that.

Comment

It's gonna rain some on Saturday, but not too cold. Let me know if you guys want to do anything.

We can do some "rigging parties" over the winter. I know a lot of newbies who would be uneasy to be punching holes in their boat themselves, or are lacking the tools/space to do that. I've got tools and my driveway/house to volunteer if anybody wants to get together.

Comment

thats a good idea. the reports say the rock are hanging around the mouths of the rivers from the magothy to the west river and the chester river on the eastern shore. looks like the first chance for me is early sunday morning. man this weather is killing the fall season

Comment

Well, there are a couple of things I can think of.

One, I found this site through Kayak Fishing Magazine.net. CB kayak 02 posted a link. This is one way, encourage everybody to post on ALL the kayak fishing forums out there. I can direct people to a couple of MD hunting and shooting sites that we could drop a link.

Two, trade links with as many sites as possible. My realtor recommended this. Everything from local stuff to national sites, ask for a link exchange.

Thirdly, we could try some type of pysical meeting or dinner to try and collect some donations to do some cheap advertising. Most advertising could be done for free though.

I am just considering getting into kayak fishing. I have been fishing all my life but am shore bound unless a generous friend offers a boat ride. I think that with a kayak I can get out more and get to better spots.

Another thought is what will this website do, what is it's purpose? I may be interested in becoming a moderator if the opportunity presents itself.

I think the bottom line though is traffic.

Comment

Winter activities - rod building workshop, fly tying/bucktails, kayak rigging, etc...

I already have a bunch of projects identified for my kayaks for the winter. I'm also planning on fishing longer into the fall/winter this year now that I have some decent dry gear.

Comment

my winter activities consist of buying gear...lol
                              Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                              X