Low-tech solution for moving kayak across my yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-tech solution for moving kayak across my yard

I keep my Native Manta Ray 14 on the floor inside my walk-out basement underneath the stairs coming down from the main level. When I am ready to use it, I slide it across the basement floor over carpet mats, out the sliding patio door, then outside. To avoid excessive scratching when crossing over the concrete patio, I lay a 4" PVC pipe on the ground cross-wise and use it to keep the boat bottom off the concrete. Once on the grass, I need to walk uphill across the grass to get to my driveway.

I do not own kayak wheels. I found that if I lifted the kayak by its bow handle, the drag resistance was pretty strong. I decided to get a ~15' piece of heavy rope from the basement and use it as a manual towing strap. I pass the rope through the bow handle, grab either end, and walk uphill. Because of the length of the rope, the kayak rides nearly flat across the grass and offers less drag.

The photos show the rope in place. The solution is not fancy or elegant, but it works for me.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Necessity is the mother of invention. Thanks for sharing.

I think i could survive on a island with a knife, rope, duct tape and PVC pipe.

Comment

I had a lady in West Marine the other day buying a new rope for the same sort of rig to get her kayak from the dingy rack to the edge of the bulkhead.

Comment

Very Clever!

But I thought that Frank Zappa was the Mother of Invention!

Saltrodder
        Annapolis

Comment

Working...
        X