NC Devil Hills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC Devil Hills?

Going down there for vacation with a friend, we are taking the yaks. I know nothing of this area, anyone every fish in NC?
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Kill Devil Hills?

I fished these areas two summers ago when I was in Kill Devil Hills with my Dad and we caught the species listed at the locations

Little Bridge - flounder and who knows
    Propeller Slough area - specks and reds
    Oregon Inlet rocks (north side) - Specks (all on green grubs with red tails), flounder, reds, croaker... we saw people catching blues, sharks, and sheeps (under the pilings). There is a little parking lot here but you can walk pretty far around the rocks on the paths and find a nice seam. There was a path to the sand in the cove too. Not sure how bad the current is here, but would be fun on the last of the outgoing and incoming (so you don't get sucked out to sea!).

On the front side there is a triangle wreck just off the beach, not the triangle wreck. You can swim there apparently. They told me spades, sheeps, cobia, flounder all go by there. I didn't get a chance to go though bc I was shore bound.

Good luck! I got my first kayak down there, a Redfish 12 demo from Kitty Hawk Kites. We took a tilefish out of the inlet that was pretty fun. It was rough so pretty much everyone around me was puking. Made the fishing easier for me though, less lines in the water!

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

In hindsight these kind of look like weakfish? This was two years ago and there were three of us. I think the top one was like 18" or 19"?
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

yeah they dont look like spotted sea trout, still nice fish! nice free ramp over the bridge to manto plenty of pilings to fish

Comment

triangle wrecks-150 yds off beach, mile marker 7, the tug sunk 100 yds nth of nags head pier, about 200 yds out (not quite to the end of the pier)-both easy to spot from surface if vis is 1/2 decent, if not, shows up easy of ff-I dive, snorkel and fish both

Comment

When are you going to be down there? I'm heading to corolla on 7/30 thru 8/6 and plan on fishing most of the same spots mentioned above minus the inlet.

I know the bay behind corolla is pretty much fresh water but i'm unsure of the salinity behind Kill Devil Hills. That might be an option as well.

I plan on getting out front thru the surf and look for Kings and cobia. There should be plenty of Spanish and blues past the surf break as well.

If i'm heading down before you i will get some recon done and post it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
              Kill Devil Hills?

I fished these areas two summers ago when I was in Kill Devil Hills with my Dad and we caught the species listed at the locations

Little Bridge - flounder and who knows
              Propeller Slough area - specks and reds
              Oregon Inlet rocks (north side) - Specks (all on green grubs with red tails), flounder, reds, croaker... we saw people catching blues, sharks, and sheeps (under the pilings). There is a little parking lot here but you can walk pretty far around the rocks on the paths and find a nice seam. There was a path to the sand in the cove too. Not sure how bad the current is here, but would be fun on the last of the outgoing and incoming (so you don't get sucked out to sea!).

On the front side there is a triangle wreck just off the beach, not the triangle wreck. You can swim there apparently. They told me spades, sheeps, cobia, flounder all go by there. I didn't get a chance to go though bc I was shore bound.

Good luck! I got my first kayak down there, a Redfish 12 demo from Kitty Hawk Kites. We took a tilefish out of the inlet that was pretty fun. It was rough so pretty much everyone around me was puking. Made the fishing easier for me though, less lines in the water!

That's a nice mess of trout. I miss those.

Comment

Im working out the details of when im going so ill let you know
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Oregon Inlet catwalk, ocean side, 5th or further out pilings, climb down into them by going under cut outs in tubing. Incoming tide... Usually needs to be strong movement, sunset/sunrise/or dark. Eels live or dead on Carolina rig drift next to pilings. Also storm shad cast out to ocean let drift under bridge and slow retrieve up. Tide runner stripers 18-38 also big blues 30 inches. If they show up use trailer hook to back of eel. Circle hooks no setting they will do it for you leave drag lose and put pressure on spool with your finger when they take off. Can be dead all day than right at sunset if they run in, you will have fish after fish until it shuts down. Also may not be there one day and next they are. We have done best at evening time. Lantern a good idea also.
                  This isn't with the kayak but it pays off for us in August and it's alot of fun when the school is running. May need a net to help get fish out of the water, best is down on the piling platforms bc you can drift closer or between them and hull the striper out bf a breakoff. Good luck

Comment

Here are a few old photos all from the pilings. I'm hoping to take a few days in august to get down to do some more. We also did good in the ocean in kayaks over an old wreck near a pier I think nags head but not sure. There we caught alot of trigger fish.

Comment

Working...
                    X