Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Lucky Day of Tautog Fishing (Apr 7, 2016 in Cape Henlopen State Park, DE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Lucky Day of Tautog Fishing (Apr 7, 2016 in Cape Henlopen State Park, DE)

OK Here is one CHSP report.
    As I mentioned I had to make one trip to CHSP before the Spring Tautog season closes in DE.
    I fished for large bluefish and flounder for 3 hours first without a bite during the high tide. I learned by a kayaker that he and his 3 friends caught 4-5 Large bluefish between 6 and 7 AM. Well I wasn't there that time.

After the outgoing tide started, I went to the ocean side of the inner wall for tautog (blackfish). I planned to fish tautog in the afternoon because I prefer the low tide here in Cape Henlopen State Park. During the low tide, I can see the structures that are usually submerged during the high tide. There I met two forum friends, and I learned that the bite hasn’t started.
    We patiently searched for the possible holes and thoroughly fished few holes one at a time.
    We found a few holes that produced quality tautog. I caught 5 togs at 15", 16", 17", 18" and 21". The friends caught several at 14" -20".

I fished for bluefish and flounder again for 2 hours without a bite again while some yakers were catching 20"-27" bluefish.

Tautog saved my day.

Fishing Log:

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-11-2016, 05:38 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice Fish Joe.

How do you like the disc weights? Do you lose less rigs with them? I pickup a few up but haven't used them yet. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew View Post
      Nice Fish Joe.

How do you like the disc weights? Do you lose less rigs with them? I pickup a few up but haven't used them yet. Thanks.
      To me, disc sinkers are definitely better in CHSP. I recommend.

Just in case, I used dirt cheap Eagle Claw hooks (only the mode below. sizes are depending on the species) from trigger fish to Sheepshead. They are cheap, sharp enough, and don't break (but bend - which is good thing many times). The best thing of the model is a large eye of the hook. It is easy to connect the hook to the loop (of thick mono leader/rig).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16780189?w...309632&veh=sem

I no longer use the dropper loop knot. Making the dropper loop knots takes too long. I use a simple knot, figure 8 knot for connecting to the hook, sinker and to the snap on the main line.

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
        To me, disc sinkers are definitely better in CHSP. I recommend.

Just in case, I used dirt cheap Eagle Claw hooks (only the mode below. sizes are depending on the species) from trigger fish to Sheepshead. They are cheap, sharp enough, and don't break (but bend - which is good thing many times). The best thing of the model is a large eye of the hook. It is easy to connect the hook to the loop (of thick mono leader/rig).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16780189?w...309632&veh=sem

I no longer use the dropper loop knot. Making the dropper loop knots takes too long. I use a simple knot, figure 8 knot for connecting to the hook, sinker and to the snap on the main line.

Joe
        I'm a big fan of disk weights as well, always prefer to use them when fishing around structure and lose very few rigs. Joe introduced me to those hooks as well and personally think they are better then the octopus hooks. They are cheaper, easy to replace, sharp, and if you lose them it's ok because you have a bunch of spares.
        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Nice Joe! Looking forward to the next outing!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice job! Better then me. I with friends to OC and fished the inlet (off the rocks). Caught one nice tog (15 7/8). Had to toss him back because the law in MD is different then MD. I'll look forward to the next report.
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
            X