Tampa Bay in March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay in March

I returned last evening from my latest trip to fish in the Tampa Bay area with kayak guide Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. On Mon and Tues, I had two friends from Oklahoma fishing with me. On Mon, the water was calm as we drove across a bridge to the launch point. However, once we were on the water, the wind built to a brisk pace that kept my anchor from holding consistently. The bite was slow, with some speckled trout and a few small flounder. At one point, my back was getting stiff so I told Neil I would paddle to a beach on a nearby small mangrove island to stretch. As I approached the island, I took a few casts up against the mangroves. On the second cast I felt a strong pull, which led to a 20"+ snook.

001.jpg

I made a circuit around the mangrove island casting as I went. Over the next 15 mins, I caught three more, with the largest in the mid-20s.

002.jpg

I circled the island twice more, but the snook had departed.

On Day 2, we fished in heavy fog but calm winds. I ended the day with 22 specs, 1 ladyfish, and 1 flounder.

On Day 3, Neil let me tag along on someone else's charter. The weather was gorgeous and low wind. Both of those guys were really late (1.5 hours and 2 hours). After an hour of waiting, Neil told me to take a kayak and rod and paddle out looking for some grass flats just off a boat channel. I went off by myself and soon had bites. My first fish of the day was a 20" beauty. It was my longest spec in several years.

002.jpg 003a.jpg

I ended the day with 30 specs, 3 ladyfish, and 2 flounder.

As each of the new guys arrived, Neil sent them out to me to show them where to fish and how to use the anchor trolley system. For a few hours I was an assistant guide (fun for a day, but not something I would want to do as a regular job).

On the final day, Neil and I launched to another calm morning. We paddled a few miles to fish along a shallow flat next to a nature preserve. We could see large snook and redfish in the water but were unable to convince them to bite. After 2.5 hours with no bites, we found a pod of energetic ladyfish to give some badly needed pullage. All of them leaped several times and made fast drag screaming runs. I ended with 8 ladyfish, 1 puffer fish, and 3 specs. Two of the specs were 17” long.

IMAG0797.jpg

Mark and I have already booked several days with Neil in April. I can't wait.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Sounds like another great trip! Congrats on the sizable Specs!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice trip John, that was some nice fish. I hope you guys make it back in time for the SNOW this weekend

Yak67
      2015 Hobie PA-14
      2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Mark and I have already booked several days with Neil in April. I can't wait.
        +1 Indeed!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Snookzilla! That is outstanding John!

Comment

Working...
          X