Human Power vs Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Power vs Motor

CBKA www.cbkainc.com is looking into hosting a Angler of the Year contest in 2012. We have a few questions and would appreciate your help.

First question: Should motorized or sail kayaks compete with human powered kayaks or should there be two different divisions?

(For those of you who may not know we are registered as a non-profit corporation in MD and after our first tourrnament in Sept. we will apply for 503C status - tax exempt - funds raised by our group will be used for some type of prizes and to support charities)
    Motor and human powered compete in same division
    50.00%
    Motor and human powred compete in separate division
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by eastonkayaker; 07-11-2011, 01:24 AM.

i'm on the fence about this.

as much as i want to say it's an advantage, but when you REALLY think about it, is it?

for example, look at big boat tourneys, it's not always the most expensive, well equipped boat, faster boat that wins...(and when that boat does; that fast, expensive, and well equipped boat also came with a well experienced crew).

with kayaks, what is the advantage? seems like most battery powered yakers stay on the water for just as long at paddlers, and i havent seen a larger catch difference.

it's not like motored kayaks are traveling faster and farther, thus covering more ground. (dont they travel roughly the same speed as hobies or paddlers?) if anything, there should be age handicap bc it can be so demanding! lol

FYI, The Boatyard Bar and Grill Opening Day Touney was willing to let kayakers compete (i was thinking about it this year, thus why i contacted them, but i didn't want to break a new tradition in the making with my girlfriend, since we've entered 3 times now via powerboat...btw, the after part is the best!), but kayakers would have to pay the full entry fee as boaters, per kayak. (i think its worth it, such a great time).

would boaters then consider a kayak an advantage?
    sigpic

Comment

It doesn't matter how far or fast you can travel ......... it depends on how well you can fish ............ Period ........ without question

An electric motor powered Yak offers no advantage and many times a disadvantage.

I have a Hobie Pro Angler. The PA travels @ 3 - 3.5 mph at high speed with a 30 pd thrust for several hours before the battery slows a little. A 45 pd thrust is really too heavy and makes the PA list slightly.

My turbo fins can easilly cruise at 3.5 all day and go up to 5.5 mph if I push it. I troll at 1- 2+ MPH which I can do all day pedalling.

The engine and the battery take up alot of space. I can not use the Hobie Livewell if I use the engine because the Motormount and battery are in the way .......... and it is a disadvantage around structure such as a pier piling because you can only approach it from 1 side. It is also a disadvantage when fighting a fish because it is another obstacle to keep the fish away from. In addition, you have a hard time launching if you have more than a few feet to transport the yak because you are not supposed to carry the battery in the yak while it is on the wheels. The Battery, engine and mount weigh over 100 lbs so transporting it can be a REAL pain if you aren't right at the ramp.

I know of more than 1 fishing tournament that was won by a guy in a Jon boat over the $50k bass boats ........

The only advantage that I can see is that it keeps old fat guys like me from getting a heart attack trying to keep up with the young guys that can paddle/pedal all day without breaking a sweat ...... it just allows me to keep up .......... they are the ones with the huge advantage ...........

Please tell me from someone that has actually used a motor what advantage is REALLY gained ............ NONE !

Oh and the argument about someone in a Jon boat w/a electric engine entering is nuts. A jon boat is not a Kayak by any ones standards.

Allow them to compete like anyone else ...........

Comment

Originally posted by eastonkayaker View Post
        CBKA www.cbkainc.com is looking into hosting a Angler of the Year contest in 2012. We have a few questions and would appreciate your help.

First question: Should motorized or sail kayaks compete with human powered kayaks or should there be two different divisions?

(For those of you who may not know we are registered as a non-profit corporation in MD and after our first tourrnament in Sept. we will apply for 503C status - tax exempt - funds raised by our group will be used for some type of prizes and to support charities)
        This just simply raises the question, should there be a CBKA, a Chesapeake Bay Powered Kayak Association and a Chesapeake Bay Sail Kayak Association. This could be a very devisive route to go. Power gives no real advantage except to troll a lure better, depending on what lure is trolled. I do agree with the age division. That is far more of an advantage, or should I say disadvantage. Although, I would not want to win on the fact of my age. There is so much more to fishing than what kayak are you using. If one wants to further the sport of kayak fishing, it should be all inclusive. Just a thought, Just a thought.
        Last edited by DOGFISH; 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

agree with others. If my Torque gave me any real advantage...well...my reports would be a lot different lol.

That being said, I dont wanna hear any $hi7 if an angler using an EK wins the tourney lol...
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
            This just simply raises the question, should there be a CBKA, a Chesapeake Bay Powered Kayak Association and a Chesapeake Bay Sail Kayak Association. This could be a very devisive route to go. Power gives no real advantage except to troll a lure better, depending on what lure is trolled. I do agree with the age division. That is far more of an advantage, or should I say disadvantage. Although, I would not want to win on the fact of my age. There is so much more to fishing than what kayak are you using. If one wants to further the sport of kayak fishing, it should be all inclusive. Just a thought, Just a thought.
            ......... and I'm not sure that a powered would troll better than a motored either ........ powered is an even pull .......... pedal/paddled is a thrusting pull which gives a lure an erratic presentation which I find is usually more effective ............ I can troll at 1-2 mph all day peddaling ...... it's like a very slow walk

Comment

ive been out with pinch fishing and the torque is far and away a better fishing machine. much more advantage than human power JMSAO need a tow next week

Comment

Electric Powered creates no extra advantage and is definitely nice for someone older that may have a bad shoulder/knee and can't do the paddle/peddle but still want to enjoy the sport of fishing from a kayak!!!

And I'm the young one in the group, I'm not offended by any means if I'm paddling my @$$ off and someone else is casually cruising next to me on an EK.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                  Electric Powered creates no extra advantage and is definitely nice for someone older that may have a bad shoulder/knee and can't do the paddle/peddle but still want to enjoy the sport of fishing from a kayak!!!

And I'm the young one in the group, I'm not offended by any means if I'm paddling my @$$ off and someone else is casually cruising next to me on an EK.
                  im not saying that they arnt a good fishing platform for people that have a disability but come on " no advantage" when they can do 15 miles and not break a sweat and you and i are working our asses off for 5 miles not to mention current and wind

Comment

I mean yes to that extent, but then wouldn't we have to look at the Hobie mirage drive being more advantageous than a regular paddle kayak. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                      im not saying that they arnt a good fishing platform for people that have a disability but come on " no advantage" when they can do 15 miles and not break a sweat and you and i are working our asses off for 5 miles not to mention current and wind

REALLY ........ how many people do yu know that does 15 miles in an electric yak ............ I don't know any ...... except maybe Pinch but he thinks nothing of driving to CBBT fishing hard and driving home in the same day then fish again the next day .....

Mine does 3-3.5 mph max w/an engine ............. I can pedal all day at that rate ......... and I am WAAAAY out of shape ..........

Yes ...... no advantage except to keep me out of trouble .........
                      besides ..... even if someone did go a distance ....... the better fisherman would still win ........

Comment

here is my take on this. There are only 2 advantages of an electric motor, the abillity to rig and bait on the go saving time in between fishing holes, and the abillity to hold into current. That is it. Other than that the E yaks are more limited than peddle and after fishing a malibu 13 the other day paddle aswell. In the torque i am limited by weight and battery life. I have less room to put things than in the revo. I have (before it sank) chosen to use the revo over the torque especially when the time spent on the water is an unknown factor. While i have been able to do 15+ mile round trip days my yak weight is around 400lb's with both batteries and gear. I move slow and steady. There should be limitations on electric drivision in my opinion. If a kayak has a motor that allows it to move faster than a human powered kayak i think that shouls be a seperate division. I top out at around 3 kts, in the malibu and the revo i can move faster than 3kts.

Imagine having a 400 lb kayak with a motor that doesnt work and paddling from the eastside BB cross current back to SPSP. It has happened to me.
                        Last edited by Pinch; 07-12-2011, 06:06 PM.
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Isn't this Sept tournament limited in area (5mi radius from launch)? Can the outcome of this 1st annual tourney serve as a gauge to how things go?

"Hobies should be in a different category because my arms get tired, and theirs don't. If my arms weren't tired from paddling, I wouldn't have lost that winning fish at the boat."

Not serious with that, but I'm Just sayin...
                          Last edited by MetroMan; 07-12-2011, 06:21 PM.
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGnnxAivEhA

im getting one of these
                            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post

Whoa CB, sounds like you are desribing me, knee surgery, shoulder surgery and back surgery. That is what an active younger life will get you. However, current still slows down an EK, and wind will ruin the day. If there is any wave action as a result of the wind, the added weight of the batteries will cause the kayak to dive into the waves. One must remember, the platform is still a kayak. As I said, the only advantage is on the troll. Where the trolling technique is to cover more water in order to find fish, that would be an advantage. Its all about the fun of things. Too much regulation and too many rules will take the fun out of the fishing. I must also agree with CB, give it a try and see if the powered kayaks really do win all of the competitions. Look at how it has gone during the meet and greets. Just a glimpse at the one on the South River, I was outfished on my home waters by a paddle kayak. The trolling bite was off that day. It is just about where you find the fish. I trolled over those same fish several times and marked them on the ff, but did not take the time to stop. Wayne saw the same fish, stopped and vertical jigged up a dozen or so. Its all about the fishing.
                              Last edited by DOGFISH; 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X