New Year/New Jersey Bass and Blues 1/2/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year/New Jersey Bass and Blues 1/2/16

Well I decided to ring in the new year by taking a little drive to the beach Saturday and I'm glad I did. I met up with a buddy around sunrise and we saw fish breaking as soon as we got eyes on the water. It was hot action for the first few hours as we found feisty 30 inch range bass willing to hit plugs and jigs. Things slowed down around late morning when the winds kicked up and the fish got lockjaw. We started snagging and dropping the atlantic herring that were swimming around below us all day and instantly started catching again. Herring are muchhhhh harder to snag than bunker and the stripers can really slurp them off the hook because they're so soft.

The surprise of the day came in the afternoon when we ran into schools of monster blues. I landed two that were both well over ten lbs and got bit off a few more times. It was a day of great pullage and a real treat to be able to get out in January and actually catch fish in the ocean. I hope to be able to get out this week to try and find them again.

A little salty but a good shot of bass and blues under herring later in the day

Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Nice to see you're getting on em' again!
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

You sir, are a fishing machine....

Great way to start the year....

My jealousy level is off the charts!!!!!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

You keep this up Romo you are going to have a "lot" of new friends visiting NJ this year. Keep it up, we are loving the pics and videos

Yak67
        2015 Hobie PA-14
        2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Hard to believe that big blues are sill making an appearance up there in January! Nice work again!
          Brian

Comment

Here's the video report from this day. Subscribe if you like!

My YouTube Channel

Comment

So I'm curious...it looks like snagging bunker (and other bait fish) is the ticket up in NJ waters....anyone know if it's legal to snag bait the same way in the Chesapeake ?
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

The herring can also be caught with a sabiki. Keep in mind these are Atlantic herring and not blueback or river herring. Bunker you gotta snag. I doubt there's any laws prohibiting the taking of legal bait by snagging. I just don't think it's big down there due to regional fishing differences or the fact that there isnt a lot of big, mature bait to snag.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                X