Tampa Bay Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay Day 2

The wind was down today so we spent a little more time on the water. Altogether, John Terry and I caught over 60 fish and 7 species (I think.) But today truly belonged to John "The Golden Rod" Veil. We may have combined to catch more than 60 but he had over half of them.

Here's John hooking up with one of his 28 speckled trout catches:

A.JPG

The game plan today was similar to yesterday. Find the specks, and cast to them.

Here John and Terry are off to a new location:

F.JPG

Then once we got there the guide (Neil Taylor) placed us in different spots so that we could cast into them or surround them. Here we had a good school of specks circled:

C.JPG

Despite the distance from shore we were still in shallow water -- 2 to 3 feet deep.

This kind of fishing required light 1/4 oz. jig heads and making long casts to keep your lure in play as long as possible. Sometimes the specks hit it as soon as it landed and other times they toyed with it all the way back to the boat before attacking. Here is what we threw for most of the day:

B.jpg

In addition to specks we each caught lady fish. They are called "the poor man's tarpon" here and they're lots of fun to catch. The ones we caught today ranged from 15 to 24 inches they pulled like a son-of-a-gun. Plus they go airborne when hooked. I personally stuck 6 of them, watched their acrobatics and was pleased to get three of them in boat. They're extremely active and almost impossible to photograph because they go crazy on the bottom of the kayak. It's best to get them back in the water fast.

John added sea bass, lizard fish and pin fish to his species count today and probably some others I've forgotten. We saw redfish tailing but got no strikes from them.

One other point of interest is that a dolphin swam in front of us on our way out to our fishing area today. At one point it went right under my kayak. Terry, however had another companion for a lengthy period. A manatee basked behind his boat for a good 20 to 30 minutes. It would come up and exhale noisily and then go under again. That was at one of the areas where we catching lots of speckled trout.

On the way back to our launch we stopped at the deepest water we fished in all day, perhaps 15 feet. Here we jigged for silver trout. Here's one of two I caught:

D.jpg

And here's what I caught it on:

E.jpg

I'm not particularly fond of jigging but I thought this lure was very interesting.

So that ended day two. We each contributed fish to the cooler for a fish fry we're having tonight.

We have one day left on the water here before heading back to Maryland.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Fun to see the image of the OGWLTF circled up around a school of feeding fish....that's how we do it! Did you guys introduce the guide to that tactic?
    Good luck in the coming am...
    ST

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Glad the wind behaved for you today. It was blowing hard up here...
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

The speckled trout were biting pretty well this morning. We have not caught any really big ones during the last two days, but had steady action on 12-16" trout. They are beautiful fish -- I wish they were more common in Maryland waters. Here is a 16" spec I caught today. It's tail looked a bit beaten up. It also had an iridescent turquoise color on its shoulders -- I don't recall seeing that coloration on a trout before.
        001.jpg

Specs have two serious canine teeth on the front of their upper jaw. If I need to extract a jighead from inside the mouth, I use my pliers.
        003.jpg

Mark mentioned ladyfish. Here is a photo of an 18" ladyfish I caught after it made several jumps and numerous drag screaming runs. They are fun to catch.

002.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good report and great pics, have fun day #3 and reel-em-in

Yak67
          2015 Hobie Pa-14
          2016 Outback LE

Comment

Green with envy. Glad the fish are biting for you.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice fish guys! John are you using the map I sent ya?
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Don't be afraid to try em on topwater. I caught my biggest down there- 24'' on a prop bait. Kept catching little guys and though hmmm..I wonder if the bigger fish might like this. Bam!

John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Congrats guys looks like a great time! Are you down south?
                  New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Originally posted by mccray44 View Post
                    Congrats guys looks like a great time! Are you down south?
                    Keith - I generally do not disclose on a public board where a guide takes me -- those are the secrets that support his livelihood. I can say we fished to the south of Tampa Bay on day 1 and to the north on days 2 and 3.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      Keith - I generally do not disclose on a public board where a guide takes me -- those are the secrets that support his livelihood. I can say we fished to the south of Tampa Bay on day 1 and to the north on days 2 and 3.
                      I understand John, I thought about it after the post. Was just asking generally.
                      New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Does the guide supply all equipment; kayak, rods/reels, tackle when you guys venture down there?
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Looks like a great trip, by the way...want to get down to Florida myself in the near future...hopefully within the next year.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                            Does the guide supply all equipment; kayak, rods/reels, tackle when you guys venture down there?
                            Yes, he does.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                              Yes, he does.
                              What kind of money/day?
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13