Seating issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seating issues

No matter how expensive the seat or how thick the padding, sitting with your legs straight out in front of you for hours on end is an uncomfortable position to sit- with your full body weight resting directly on your tailbone it causes "numb" butt after about six hours (for me)...shifting your position and sitting "side saddle" in the yak helps some but the only real solution is to get out and walk around for a half hour or so- to get the blood moving in the lower parts of your body again- The Expedition seat helps but it isn't a panacea...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I know what you mean. I have an STS too, a better than stock seat, but still I get butt issues. In fact, the butt issues affects me while driving my car less than an hour. In many ways, winter months help. Since I don't yak fish for 4-5 months, it gives me time to heal.

It has something to do with prolong pressure on the sciatic nerve in the butt area. There are exercises to help prevent/lessen the pain. Maybe if I do them regularly, it won't be as painful.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

This is another reason I like my Outback. Peddaling helps to keep the blood flowing to my legs.

You might try stretching your hamstrings as offten as possible. Your hamstrings go from your legs to your back crossing your aris. I don't know if it will help with the numbness but it may help with the pain.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Yeah ......... the pedaling helps and the PA seat is a mesh so it's cooler and more comfortable and it's elevated about 2 inches so you don't have to sit in water and your legs aren't as uncomfortable and you can stand up if you aren't a fat ole fart like me .........

Comment

I went groundhog hunting Saturday in southern PA and we did a lot of sitting indian style on the ground glassing for groundhogs in the alfalfa fields- same issue- butt sore as it could be- that is when it dawned on me- it is the legs straight out sitting position that is painful not the amount of padding or the softness of the seat-

Comment

I'm thinking the the aluminum frame seats (e.g., the one on the Hobie PA) would really help. But I don't think there's any that would fit the Trident. On the other hand, maybe we should switch to Hobies to avoid butt pain.

Anyone with a Hobie (with pedaling) suffer from butt pain?
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I wouldn't recommend Hobies to alleviate butt pain. They've got the worst seats in the biz, I think. The slightly reclined angle is kind of nice, though. My father uses a YakPad and the inflatable Hobie seat bottom to get enough cushion. I think the Outback is slightly more comfortable than the Revo because you sit up a little higher.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Yeah I've got the outback with just the stock seat and last Thursday at the OC inlet with pinch i had to stop cause my butt was just killing me. I need to look into a yak pad or some kind of jerry rigged seat. I have no issues with my back hurting just the butt soreness.

Comment

I have to revise my previous statement after a quick trip last night. My feet use to get tingly sometimes in the Outback, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Revo. I think the angle in the Outback would pinch nerves or blood vessels that go to my feet against my hip joints or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the Revo. It was especially bad for my wife when she used the Outback, which was surprising since she has a little more padding in that area than I do.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I too suffer from numb legs after several hours on the water. I try to move my legs around while out there (The reason straddle the Kayak with legs over either side) but it only helps for a little while. I have been looking at seat pads for the last several weeks but cant decide between a inflatable or gel pad. I almost bit the bullet and bought the expedition seat but its a little to pricey.

Comment

hey mmanolis i have the hobie air cushion i'll trade you for some of those pretty jigheads

Comment

Just got the Yakpad today... hopefully it will a make a little bit of a difference.

Comment

I think four hours of paddling and sitting without a break is about my limit without pain and butt issues- I will try adding some padding to alleviate the weight distribution on your tailbone, but it looks like my fishing trips in a kayak are limited by my endurance to numb butt syndrome...the Jackson Coosa with its high seat looks awful good for places like Mattawoman Creek-

Comment

I have a skwoosh seat on my trident and the butt pad is great. I've sat for over 8 hours straight and even 10 hrs straight without butt numbness. My issue is lower back strain after awhile and monkey butt. The skwoosh seat needs a higher stronger more padded back. The monkey butt seems to be unavoidable on the kayak. It's much worse on the Revo for me though.

Skwoosh makes a butt pad, maybe check that out? I used a thin stick on pad before when I had the stock seat and it made a big difference. Skwoosh is better still. I'm looking forward to checking out surf's seat.
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X