Bloody Point on Sunday 9-6-09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody Point on Sunday 9-6-09

I will be leaving from Romancoke pier or around there early in the Sunday morning and will be out all day. My friend hooked me up with bloodworms, clam snouts, and some squid. I will have a cooler full of beer and bait, and hopefully empty to make room for fish. Any big spot I catch this time I will eat, but the smaller ones I will live line. I need to catch a keeper rockfish to devirginize my kayak and my fishing for this year. Anyone who wants to go is welcome, just let me know and we can meet up. Estimated time will be 6:00am to 7:00pm.

I've been out near bloody point and south end of Poplar Island the last three days. Live lining has been producing decent rocks in both locations and there have been a lot of fish on the surface off the southwest end of poplar when the tide was running. Small poppers were most effective on blues and surfacing rocks. I put out of ramp at Clairborne on Tuesday and was on fish twenty yards from the ramp, never even made it to bloody point because the NE wind was brutal and I got blown off. Went down to Tilghman bridge and launched there to get out of wind on south end of Poplar. There were multiple big schools breaking for six hours.

Comment

what type of permit do you need for clairborne ramp? went to the coke last weekend, heading to Lewes DE for the weekend, probably fish the canal due to the wind is supposed to be around 20 knots.

Comment

Thanks for the advice I will let you know what I catch. You'll only need a permit for claibourne if you have a trailer.

Comment

What a day, I launched at 6:15am as planned. I started to paddle out around the dock at Romancoke and then....... Birds everywhere, fish breaking total mayhem, and no rods ready to go except of a number 1 Martin spinner. So I toss it in and wham, first blue. He was only about 8 inches so I let him go(I need fish that I can have a meal out of). I rigged a drop shot really quik and caught a second blue. They started to move after this and no more action.

So I continued to paddle down to Bloody point my original destination. I stop a few places with not even a nibble. The flats at the point were long and painfull paddle but deeper water lay near. Just as in the charts the water dropped like a cliff. I started to fish this ledge but my anchor would not hold anywhere and the currents where twisting my lines.

I decided to head back near the wreck just on the other side of the point. I dropped line in about twenty feet of water and..... My ultra light keeled over like a Kennedy and I started to reel. I thought this is a big fish, maybe a rock or flounder, no just a really big croaker. This was so much fun on my ultra light I continued to catch big croaker up to 14 inches. I did catch a 12 inch rock on my same rod. My other rig had a double bottom rig that I would catch spot on. Then I would live line them on my third rod. Nothing caught while live lining, but a few good blue bites. I moved around a little more only to catch a double croaker on my bottom rig with the ultra light again. I didn't know if I would be able to get them up.

Just enjoying the nice day when the wind started to kick up first it was light then it just got stronger. I started to head back to the pier. The winds grew stronger, the waves grew larger, I just paddled and paddled. At 1/2 to 1 mile an hour I was going very slowly forward. 2 hours later I finally got to Tanners creek where I took a break. I went back into the bay were it just got worse. I pulled back into Tanners Creek where I anchored until I saw some people to tow me back.

While waiting in Tanners creek I pulled out my baitcaster rigged with a Stillwater Smackit topwater popper. I just stater throwing and retrieving. whoosh they were everywhere, blue after blue after blue. They were small so I only kept a few of the big ones. Got a ride back to the pier and my day was over. Oh by the way I said I would have a cooler full of beer, I did not do this and I was glad due to all the paddling I did. 13.3 miles according to my GPS.
          Attached Files

Comment

^ nice report! Are spot still being caught in good numbers?
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Whenever I would use a nightcrawler I would catch a spot.

Comment

Working...
              X