Chsp 10/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chsp 10/24

Headed out with two buddies to try for tog at the walls yesterday. We were really hopeful as we pedaled out. We had good bait and the promise of diminishing winds and 10 hours of daylight. Unfortunately, as the sun came up we were greeted by a steady NE wind creating a wind against tide situation and some very off color mud water. We poked around the inner wall and found some nibblers and when the wind started to die around noon we made our way to the outer wall. There were easily 40 boats all fishing the inside and quite a few snaggedliners already out there.

We eased our way between some boats and finally got a good stretch to ourselves when some guy tried to anchor about 10 times, finally smashing his outboard and prop into the rocks before calling it quits and heading off to ruin his boat somewhere else. My one buddy quickly got a short tog and we all started catchin toads. The tide was ripping and when it finally slowed I was able to get over a little piece off the rocks in about 30 FOW and got maybe my only tog bite of the day and landed a nice fat fish that was nearly 20". The fish had another tog rig coming out of his mouth so he had just ruined someone else's day who was using what looked to be 10 lb test and a brass hook.

And that was all she wrote. We called it a day when the incoming started to rip and the water got even muddier. Was really hoping for a great day out there but that muddy water pretty much ruined it. With the upcoming wind forecast that will probably be my last tog trip for the year out there.

Already posted up at the inner wall at sunrise

Boats anchored every 50 feet

Only fish of the day
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Great report and nice only fish. One thing I will never understand is how some guys will drop $20 gas getting to the park, $15 on bait+, $40-200 on a rod/reel, plus whatever the boat / rental costs but skimp out on the $10 to buy a decent hook and line making the whole thing for naught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

It was good seeing/meeting you out there yesterday. We didn't have much luck in our group of four, little fish is all we managed. It was my first time fishing for tog, only got one little striped rascal, a cunner and a few small bluefish; didn't even manage to get a toad.

Ken with one that needs to go on the Hawg Trough:

14.75" and back in the water:

My first ever tog, not what I expected it to look like with those stripes:

Cunner:

Goody with a short:
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

That keeper looks like it could fight like hell!! Congrats

I've never targeted Togs. Add it to the list.....
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice meeting you too cowpokey. I figured that hobie gang was from this site but it was your beer flag that gave you away. If you caught a tog in those conditions on your first time you'll be good to go when conditions are actually, you know, fishable.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

thanks for the report. They are catching some nice ones over at the outer wall.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
              Nice meeting you too cowpokey. I figured that hobie gang was from this site but it was your beer flag that gave you away. If you caught a tog in those conditions on your first time you'll be good to go when conditions are actually, you know, fishable.
              The way the current and wind were going made it "interesting", that's the most I've used a paddle on the Hobie.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
                thanks for the report. They are catching some nice ones over at the outer wall.
                We fished both inner and outer walls. Not many keepers were caught by anyone that I talked to.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

We missed you guys.
                  Moc, Kitkatyaker, Steve Slotwinski and myself were at the Delaware Paddlesport customer appreciation gathering. We fished the Lewes canal with very little luck.

Comment

I am going to add CHSP to my list for next season. The tog looks like some good "pullage".

Yak67
                    2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

I didn't realize that was you out there. I only managed to catch that one short. Caught some toadfish and a dogfish too.

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Fishing was slow at the inlet. I was taking a last stab at flounder, but none was located. The water was very stained and the water temperatures in the canal ranged from 56-58 degree.

Comment

Wow that's cold. I had similar readings on the way out from CHSP pier but the temps came up to 62-64 in the afternoon at the outer wall. Who wants to go back Saturday? Pretty sure water will be mud again. Would need a water quality report on Friday before really considering that...
                          Last edited by Romo; 10-28-2015, 08:30 AM.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                          X