Way Delayed Occoquan Report - Snake Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way Delayed Occoquan Report - Snake Heads

Kept putting off this post and then forgot to make it eventually! I hit the Occoquan back in may fishing for crappie and didn't catch any of them, but did manage to catch a small striper, sunfish and several bass. Cut up the sunfish and used that to catch a decent sized Channel cat for some nice pullage. Then I went up to the rocks at the end of day and saw some guys anchored up throwing a rattle trap and rapala for striper. They showed me a 2 foot snake head they caught and we eventually ended up with them giving me the fish since they didn't want to eat it and I wanted to try the meat after hearing all the hype. I of course proceeded to throw a rattle trap for half hour hoping to get into something similiar. I then hear lots of comotion behind me and I see the other guy has hooked into something massive. They eventually land it and its a 32" snakehead, an obsolute beast. They cut their throats to kill em since they did not have a club, and they were full of eggs. I gave that super sized one to a Vietnamese gentleman who said he had not seen a snakehead in over 20 years, which I thought was cool.

The snakehead was a PITA to clean, but the meat was awesome. It was white and firm and very tasty after frying with the Abbots and Italian dressing.

Very nice. The pic of that last snakehead was a beast. Are the snakehead bony like a pike? What was causing issues while cleaning?

Comment

I am no where near an expert at fileting fish, I am used to slicing in just behind the front pectoral fin first, then cutting back and letting the knife ride along the backbone. If I am remembering what threw me off, I would swear it was that its backbone was in the middle of it, rather then at the top, so I couldn't just filet like I am used to.. The skin and scales are also super tough, and he has that large hard area that big stripers have behind the pectorals.. Hope that makes sense. :P

Comment

I've been wondering what you've been up to. Glad to hear the report.

That's a nice variety of species. How big was that sunfish? It looks really fat for its size, and I'm having a hard time with the species id. Now I'm really stoked to try eating snakehead. I was having some doubts because salmo trutta on tidalfish said it was awful. I don't think he's a seafood lover, though.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by tj06sti View Post
          Looks like a warmouth or maybe some bluegill/Redeye abomination.

Comment

Hi Bill, the sunfish was about hand sized, so maybe 5" or so? I couldn't figure out what it was that night either after I went home and googled for a bit. The big black pupil threw me off!

Comment

snake heads creep me out for some reason
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                snake heads creep me out for some reason
                me too.. doesnt really seem like it should be a fish..
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Hey TJ, Good to hear from you! Your JBay Captain's bag still awaits! On the snakehead, to my nose the ones I've caught stink! Bad. I didn't want to mess with cleaning them. Very slimy, too. Did you find this as well?

For those interested (or creeped out) take a look at this pic. It's a 20"er I caught a week or so ago at Leesylvainia SP. Look closely at the scales. It really does look more reptilian than a fish! They got a real hard head too. Was out at Pohick Bay on Thursday and spotted a monster. Easily 30+". A beast looking at me from under the spatterdock. Talk about creeped out!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X