Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How you live line?

Hey,
    I've never tried to live-line spots before. What's a good way to do it so that it'll survive the longest time possible. What hook size/type? Where do you hook them?

you will find lots of variations on how to do it, but this is what i do...

5/0-6/0 Owner Bait hook with the spot hooked in the the mouth out the nose. i like this better than on the back behind the dorsal fin, but thats just me.

here are some pics

http://snaggedline.com/boatyard/showthread.php?t=5
    sigpic

Comment

Hooking from the back lets the fish swim more naturally and freely in dead or low current waters. If current picks up however the fish will be pulled sideways making him lay horizontal with the surface giving a un natural look. Thats when I prefer to hook lip through nose.
      Last edited by s14turbo; 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM.

Comment

i like the lip hook method, i'll use 18" of fluorocarbon leader and enough weight to hold it on the bottom. if you are at the bb you need to use enough weight to get straight to the bottom of the pilings, sometimes 4 oz or more depending how fast the current is moving. i use 3/0-6/0 circle hooks, remember, rock eat head first

Comment

Originally posted by s14turbo View Post
          Hooking from the back lets the fish swim more naturally and freely in dead or low current waters. If current picks up however the fish will be pulled sideways making him lay horizontal with the surface giving a un natural look. Thats when I prefer to hook lip through nose.

i would dissagree bc from my underwater pics of a spot hooked through the nose, he's swimming pretty damn freely in a natural position.
          sigpic

Comment

sure he looks natural up top, but the fish can't dive as freely with resistance on the nose. But hey, whatever catches fish, catches fish.

This article may be helpful to you Milkfish

http://www.tidalfish.com/Saltwater_A..._articleid/622

Comment

Working...
            X