Mirage Drive V1 to V2 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirage Drive V1 to V2 conversion

For those of you that own pre-2009 Hobie Mirage Drive yaks, I strongly advise upgrading the sprockets to V2 sprockets. The V2's have a molded-in brass insert that the sail mast is threaded into. A dab of Locktite applied to it makes it nearly impossible to loosen so you won't have a sail mast separation failure of the drive. The V2 sprockets (part number 81129001) run about $15 each ($5 more than a V1). Additionally, you'll need a V2 sail mast for each sprocket (standard fin: 81163001, ST Turbo: 81198101) and IIRC, they're $10 each. I believe the upgrade kits are $50 (standard fin kit: 81129022, ST Turbo kit: 81129122).

I had a mast separation failure a couple of weeks ago and had to perform an impromptu on-the-water repair. It wasn't fun, and after the trip, the sprocket needed replacement as the mast hole wallowed out (due to me not having a 1/8" inch allen wrench to tighten the set screw and had to use needlenose pliers).

Backyard Boats in either Annapolis or Woodbridge has parts and will probably do the work for ya if you ask nicely. Travis at the Woodbridge store took my old V1 ST Turbo masts back as a return (he sold me the ST Turbo fins a couple of weeks ago) and only charged me the cost of the replacement sprockets.

Additionally, I would strongly suggest carrying a couple of spare clevis pins (8020041, about $1) and lock rings (10860001, about $0.50) in your spare parts kit, along with a pair of needle nose Vise Grips (model 6LN), a 7/16" wrench, and a 1/8" allen wrench. With these tools, you will be able to perform 99% of the maintenance on a Mirage Drive, as well do any emergency repair necessary. I believe all of this will fit in a Pelican 1030 dry box (will confirm after I get my 1030).

i had mine fail the same way (the hole ovaled out) the last two outings and was able to set the screw back in a bit with my pliers. would last only an hour before i had to do it again. then i gooped the hole (should have used epoxy but i didnt have any) and it's been fine for one outing, but still a little loose. i'm going to just epoxy the mast in the old sprokets and keep it as a spare. i did end up buying the V2 sproket and mast kit, but havent installed it yet.
    sigpic

Comment

Good Info...
      I was planning to get a Hobie in the Spring for next year's fishing season. Didn't know about the issues. Are the V2 standard on their newer Hobie yaks now?

Comment

yes, the 2009 hobies have the click n go V2 drive. it has screw in mast sprockets and beefier drums which prevent flexing and failing, which my drum did as well.
        sigpic

Comment

changed over to st fins last week, had to put vice grip on it to loosen the masts and put locktite on when putting the new masts in. i know if something goes wrong i wont be able to get that little slip ring on, can barely see it

Comment

i got st fins too, i have yet to install them though.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X