CHSP Pier Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Pier Opening

Just saw this on another site. Get there early for parking.

NEWS FROM THE DELAWARE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL
    CONTACT: Michael Globetti, DNREC Public Affairs, 302-739-9902
    DNREC’s Cape Henlopen Fishing Pier to reopen ahead of schedule, in time for Labor Day weekend
    LEWES (Sept. 3, 2015) – DNREC’s Division of Parks & Recreation announced today that the historic Cape Henlopen Fishing Pier will reopen Friday afternoon at approximately 4:30 p.m. for the Labor Day weekend and of course for what anglers who’ve frequented the pier for decades call its “fantastic fall fishing.” The pier and surrounding surf-fishing opportunities make Cape Henlopen State Park the most popular fishing destination in Delaware, and after a spring and summer closure for repairs, DNREC worked to get the pier reopened ahead of its projected construction schedule.
    The pier was closed late last year due to engineering concerns about the structural integrity of the pilings that it sits on. In April, the piling repair project was awarded through competitive bid to Commerce Construction of Bridgeport, N.J. This week the contractor completed $400,000 of repairs to approximately 108 pilings, wrapping up the first phase of the pier’s latest renovation project. The second phase entails decking replacement and various repairs to the pier’s superstructure and fencing – it will again be competitively bid, with work done over the winter to minimize impact on recreational fishing
    The Cape Henlopen Fishing pier was originally built by the Army to serve Fort Miles during World War II. The pier is now over 70 years old and, according to DNREC’s consulting engineers, has long outlived it useful life expectancy. The pier has had repairs made in 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2012. In 2008, 18 pilings were repaired and 101 additional pilings were repaired in 2009. This latest renovation project is expected to extend the life span of the pier for two to five years and is the largest repair to date undertaken by Delaware State Parks. Division of Parks & Recreation/Delaware State Parks Director Ray Bivens acknowledged that “this is still only a short-term solution for the iconic and very popular pier” and capital funds have been requested for the planning of a replacement structure.
    Director Bivens also commended State Representative and Speaker of the House Peter Schwartzkopf, along with State Reps. Steve Smyk and Timothy Dukes, and State Senator Ernie Lopez for helping to expedite the pier’s reopening by contributing Community Transportation Funds to assist Delaware State Parks with the project.
    Anglers using the pier from the Labor Day weekend forward are reminded that the privately-operated park concession Lighthouse View Bait & Tackle Shop will reopen in the spring of 2016, with anglers advised until then to buy their bait and supplies associated with pier fishing prior to entering Cape Henlopen State Park.
    Vol. 45, No. 291
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

I have been meaning to head out that way and check out the area. Maybe this will give me the reason to pull the trigger.

So many places to fish. So few hours in a work week....
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I fished around that pier last weekend, on my kayak. Some of the pylons seem to have been wrapped in PVC pipe and probably poured concrete. But majority of them still look pretty unsafe. Most of those footings are VISIBLY CROOKED.They had water pumps installed underneath the pier. You normally see them pumps in muddy rivers, when they are trying to dig up/re-vamp the river. I did some construction management in my early career. I would not let people walk on that pier as it is right now.
      Also, I would build you a new pier for $400.000, easily.
      “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

Agreed. I was over there a few weeks ago fishing around the pier and many of the pilings looked like they were eaten away by termites...It did not look too safe. I took pictures of it since it was so fascinating to see since it was low tide when I got a good look at it.

Comment

Fish the pier Friday to Saturday. Lots of people and lots of fish. A guy next to me pulled in cobia. I guess it's so rare to see a cobia in Delaware that everyone thought it was a blue lol. Still lots of croakers. No keeper flounders but did end up catching a 13 inch weakfish with a tag!

Comment

Working...
          X