Catching Northern Pike with a touing Yak and beat up equipment in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching Northern Pike with a touing Yak and beat up equipment in Michigan

Was back in town visiting family that happen to live on a lake. Was able to fish a few mornings, using a older 12 foot touring yak and a the best rod and reel out of the bunch with wasn't smooth had questionable drag, and monofilament line of an unknown age and size.

Didn't stop me from catching fishing 1st day did ok fishing the docks with a couple small bass then ran out of time to fish.

Second day was a different story I paddled to the other side of the lake to an area called the cove, a nice area that drops from a few feet down to about 15 and had a nice weed bed. I found that casting a 3" storm shad (Yellow Perch or Bluegill color) and running across the top of weeds was the pattern. Within a few minutes had a good solid hit and fought a nice Pike until he got close and dove down and broke/cut the line since the drag didn't go, and lost a second one the same way. I then decided to fish the other side of the area where I have had luck before. With 10 minutes of each other caught 2 bass one around 12" and a nice 16" Bass, and had a another one jump off.

Then around 9:30 the Northern Pike bite turned on. Hooked on to a nice Pike and after loosing the other 2 I loosened and fix the drag somewhat then lucked out and managed to land a nice fat 25" Pike, and caught a couple more decent smaller Pike. Then lost my last 3 Storm Shads with broken/cut lines to Pike including the last one that felt huge.

Next time I visit I bringing my own reel and picking up some steel leaders, but still well worth loosing a bunch of baits for all the pullage I got. Sorry for the lack of pictures didn't have my phone with me out on the water due to the lack of dry storage.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Glad you were able to make it work with what you had. Can't keep a determined fisherman down!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
    X