Massive schools of...something @ Chesapeake Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive schools of...something @ Chesapeake Beach

I went out last night from Chesapeake Beach, fished from about 17ft of water and let the tide take me out into the 20s. I was using the usual cut squid on white buck tail and live blood worms jigging/drifting bottom, hoping for croaker. I had a few hits from something, missed the hook set both times. I did manage to bring up a few small white perch on blood worm, but that was it. (where are the big croaker!?) What I did notice is there was a lot of top water fish, they weren't large, but they were constantly jumping/breaking the surface. I've seen these before even up as far as SPSP.

Size was looking to be about 5-10" from the ones that jumped out of the water. There were some pods of them as well. I thought maybe they were white perch, but idk if they even run in schools. They weren't hitting on my bait or any lures I threw out so idk. My fish finder was going nuts when they passed under my kayak. As the evening got later I crossed into 30-32ft of water and the scans on the fishfinder were going nuts, beeping nonstop. All levels of the water column had these fish, but especially the lower 10 ft. Again they weren't touching what I was putting out so I can only guess as to what they were. Also I should note there was the occasional surface break of some huge fish, probably a big striper or two since it sounded like someone doing a cannonball into the water. There was far less of those in comparison though.
    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

I would say that they were most likely baitballs of alewives. I would see them a lot around CB when I was working there and fishing around there a lot.

Comment

I just looked up a picture of those and that's probably what they were.
      2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Keep that area in mind--it'll probably be a good early morning/evening topwater spot.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by frettr00 View Post
          I went out last night from Chesapeake Beach, fished from about 17ft of water and let the tide take me out into the 20s. I was using the usual cut squid on white buck tail and live blood worms jigging/drifting bottom, hoping for croaker. I had a few hits from something, missed the hook set both times. I did manage to bring up a few small white perch on blood worm, but that was it. (where are the big croaker!?) What I did notice is there was a lot of top water fish, they weren't large, but they were constantly jumping/breaking the surface. I've seen these before even up as far as SPSP.

Size was looking to be about 5-10" from the ones that jumped out of the water. There were some pods of them as well. I thought maybe they were white perch, but idk if they even run in schools. They weren't hitting on my bait or any lures I threw out so idk. My fish finder was going nuts when they passed under my kayak. As the evening got later I crossed into 30-32ft of water and the scans on the fishfinder were going nuts, beeping nonstop. All levels of the water column had these fish, but especially the lower 10 ft. Again they weren't touching what I was putting out so I can only guess as to what they were. Also I should note there was the occasional surface break of some huge fish, probably a big striper or two since it sounded like someone doing a cannonball into the water. There was far less of those in comparison though.
          That is when I breakout the top water popper and work it hard on the edges of the school of breaking bait-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

yes they were probably bunker and the big splash was probably a CNR they are all over CB and they make a hell ofa splash on top made me jump a few times when they flap next to the yak

Comment

Working...
            X