Holden Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holden Beach

I realize this isn't entirely, or even mostly, a kayak report, but I thought some might find it interesting.

I spent last week in Holden Beach, NC. Aside from a couple of evening thunderstorms, the weather was great. The fishing was average at best...but hey, I was on vacation so I really didn't care.

I got up early most days and threw topwater lures from the beach from sunrise to about 7:30 am. I pulled in specks from 15-17" and one at 20". Caught early morning snapper blues as well in the surf. Surf fishing at night yielded a mix of kingfish, and small croaker and pompano. One guy next to me pulled in a 4' hammerhead. All fish (except a few specks) were released.

I spent one day in the kayak BBTB (barely beyond the breakers) chasing schools of baitfish but couldn't get anything to bite. I spent time practicing my surf entries and landings.

Perhaps the most noteworthy experiences while fishing didn't involve catching fish. On my first day fishing from the surf, I was standing in ankle deep water about 10 yards from the breakers. As one 3-4' wave reached its peak just in front of me, I saw a long, distinctive shadow in the break. It was there for a split second and then disappeared with the wave. Ten minutes later, in roughly the same spot, I saw one of his friends, except this one wasn't as bashful. It was a 6-7' shark cruising the surface about 10-15 yards from where I was standing in the water. It didn't show itself long enough for me to identify the species, but needless to say, I took a couple of steps back at that point.

The other interesting thing that happened occurred while throwing topwater plugs. Not surprisingly, I attracted the attention of a number of sea gulls. As they do here in MD, they have no problem picking up the lure and flying off with it. However, they typically drop it within seconds after realizing that it is merely plastic. This time, however, a gull lifted my lure from the water and caught its beak on one of my hooks. He descended and landed peacefully in the water. I then gently retrieved the line and the bird flew toward me, as if it knew what I was trying to do. When it got close, I held it with one hand and extracted the hook with the other. The bird, not happy with its situation, let me know how displeased it was by pecking at me, flapping its wings, and squawking like it was begging for a french fry in Ocean City. When the hook was removed, the bird took off as though nothing had happened. Although the beach was empty, I heard the faint sound of applause from some of the beach home occupants who were on their decks enjoying their cups of joe and, undoubtedly, enjoying the morning's entertainment at my expense.
    Golden Papaya Outback

Man great report. I love the Outerbanks, and always like to hear the fish happenings, kayak or not

Those sharks are a big surprise, one year I was there and the water was clear, and I saw one cruise not far from my bobbing kids.
    My outlook on shark depth and locations changed that day. Ankle deep only was the rest of the week

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
      Those sharks are a big surprise, one year I was there and the water was clear, and I saw one cruise not far from my bobbing kids.
      My outlook on shark depth and locations changed that day. Ankle deep only was the rest of the week
      Right? I think they're fascinating creatures and I know they're never far away when I go in the water. I just wish they didn't remind me of it on the first day of my vacation. I kept a close eye on the kiddos after that.
      Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Down at the core banks a few weeks ago (see report in everywhere else tab) we saw several sharks on the flats. One evening while heading back in I saw a fin about 15 yards ahead cruising around so I decided to pitch my paddletail over his way to see how he would react. It landed just a little over his shoulder so I gave it a few cranks and I was astonished at how quickly he did a complete 180 and started creating a huge wake towards my lure. At this point I'm thinking I really don't wanna lose my lure....so I start cranking really fast. He's now only about 10 yards away and headed right towards me. Fortunately at the last second (I pictured him hopping in the boat with me) he turned away. Don't think I'll do that again. At least not while wearing flip flops
        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Great report outer banks is definitely a place that I want fish more and learn more about. Did you have the outback or the tuna doing the surf launching?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
            Did you have the outback or the tuna doing the surf launching?
            I guess I need to update my sig block. I took with me the Outback and a Viking Reload that I purchased used from another SL member earlier this year. (The Big Tuna is likely to go on sale soon.) My kids insisted on pedaling, so they practiced surf entries and landings in the Outback. It did not go so well for them. One turtle and a few bruised shins later, they decided to pack it up. I paddled the Viking and it was as good as advertised in both punching through the surf and landing.
            Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Working...
            X