• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Kayak Loader

As you requested.

This is where I got my idea from.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBcPgDx5kJY
    ""Homemade Kayak Loader..."
    If you look at his link on the video page, texas kayak fisherman forum, he covers the parts and materials for his design.

My single loader has two wheels, whereas the video version uses two loaders with no wheels. I use mine on our Odyssey minivan, but it can be used on SUVs and sedans too.

Parts/Material
    - Suction Cups (Order 4-cup from Northern tool @ $10 or 2-cup from Harbor Freight @$7. I used the 2-cup; the rubber suction on these are pretty strong on glass, doesn't budge at all. Keep black rubber conditioned with Armor-All)
    - PVC (couple feet, plus end caps)
    - Nuts, washers
    - Wheels (I used two 8" rubber wheels. I think they were about $5 apiece from HF)
    - NC threaded shaft (from Home Depot or Lowes, I used 5/8" dia; a couple bucks for 1 or 2 feet. You could use 1/2" dia)
    - PVC glue (to glue cups to PVC)

Costs: Less than $30

You'll have to design your own frame. I wanted stability so I used two cups to bear the load of each wheel.

Procedures (similar to video):
    - With yak on ground, put front of yak on either side of vehicle, with front maybe 1-2 feet forward of the rear bumper; with rear of yak behind
    - Lift front and place on loader
    - Go to rear of yak, lift, and push on loader
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 12-21-2013, 12:05 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

nice opti free..lol...

tell you one thing, thats a brilliant idea that guy came up with and great job adapting it to yourself.

thats still a pretty damn steep angle you have to get the front to the mount, no?
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that's why I have to regularly pump iron to be strong enough to lift the yak over my shoulder.

Comment

This is awesome.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Very nice!
          Here is what I use at only at little over $30 and no assembly. It works pretty well.
          [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thule-854-Water-Carrier-Accessory/dp/B001PQQGFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331063830&sr=8-1"]Thule 854 Water Slide Kayak Carrier Accessory Mat: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RIvctfGoL.@@AMEPARAM@@41RIvctfGoL[/ame]

But, I think your loader probably would work better on your minivan because you have that spoiler thing at the top of the rear window.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That's right along the lines of what I need. If I don't do something I'll be needing to replace my rear window on my SUV. Would rather spend $30 than the price of a rear window with defogger in it.
            2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Not sure if this is correct link. He shows how to load kayak but doesn't list parts or anything.
              2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Below the video, there is a texas kayak fisherman link. His list is short: pvc, tennis balls, part number of suction cups.

Comment

Working...
                X