Triadelphia Reservoir - 6/23/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triadelphia Reservoir - 6/23/11

I took my buddy for a paddle Thursday evening for an hour on Triadelphia Reservoir. We put in around 7:30PM and took out around 8:30PM. The weather was fantastic and the reservoir beautiful.

My friend is not into fishing so this was mostly a paddling trip, but I decided to bring my ultralight rod and troll a beetle spin with a green pumpkin grub as we paddled along. While heading out from the launch and getting near the mouth of the main reservoir, I had a hit. I reeled and saw a fish flopping at the end of the line, but it came off a few feet from the kayak. It looked like a crappie. I cast back out and began trolling again and was greeted with a second hit. This time I was able to bring the crappie to hand and released it. My buddy was impressed by the action.

We paddled out into the main reservoir and were greeted by a brilliant sunset in front of us. As we rounded apoint we disturbed a blue heron, which took flight and squawked at us.

Just a few minutes later we observed a magnificent bald eagle perched on a tall dead tree overlooking the reservoir. The eagle stayed put and we watched it for about a minute. I've seen bald eagles before on the Upper Potomac, but never at Triadelphia before. It looked like that tree was its permanent roost.

The sun was getting low so we headed back to the boat ramp. As we neared the same area where the crappies hit before, I was greeted with another thump on the rod and another crappie came to hand. All of the fish were similar sized with their main body being about as large as my hand. Boy are they whimpy fighters.

Anyway, it was a wonderful evening paddle with the bonus of a few fish coming to hand without even really trying.

Good stuff.

Sounds like an awesome evening. On the water, a Bald Eagle, sunset and a couple fish. Nice...

Comment

i havent been there in years, nor ever seen a bald eagle, must have been sweet
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X